‘Bridgerton: The Unofficial Musical’ – The Popular Album’s Origin Story, Future Plans and My Honest Opinions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Almost 10 months have passed since the critically acclaimed period drama and romance series Bridgerton made its grand debut on the gargantuan streaming service, Netflix. With an almost unrecognizable cast, most could never have predicted the extent of the impact that this new series would have over the course of the next year. But, to everyone’s surprise, the show left the world captivated and in awe of the heartbreaking and heartwarming romances, exhaustive frustrations and escalating excitement over the course of the eight-hour long series.

The obsession with the record-breaking show festered around the world as 84 million households tuned in to uncover the mysterious identity of the gossip-led narrator, Lady Whistledown, and fall in love with the stubborn romance between the leading love interests, Daphne Bridgerton (Phoebe Dynevor) and Simon Bassett (Regé-Jean Page). 

As the popularity of the show grew exponentially in the realm of TV and film, it also grew in the vast world of social media. With Twitter and Instagram bringing awareness to the incredible acting and storyline, TikTok followed suit, and soon enough, Bridgerton and regency-inspired content was trending on all platforms, especially on our “for you” pages.

The Bridgerton side of TikTok is considerably broad with POV, fashion and acting clips created with an otherwise more chill, fun and amateur atmosphere. But, nothing can nearly compare to the content composed by the uber-talented, magenta-haired singer, Abigail Barlow. 

Barlow, a 22-year-old artist, composer and musician from Birmingham, Ala., has captured the attention of millions on TikTok and around the world as she has blurred the lines between television, social media and Broadway stardom.

The original song that attributed to Barlow’s rise in fame, “Burn For You,” was inspired by the ever-so romantic and passionate honeymoon scene of episode five titled, “The Duke and I.” The composition of the song and its recognizable lyrics are what made the concept of a Bridgerton-inspired musical grow in popularity.

As the catchy song gained more and more traction, Barlow continued to release originally composed music with her friend – 20-year-old, Emily Bear from Rockford, Ill. – based on individual characters in the cast. One song Barlow and Bear wrote titled, “If I Were a Man,” is based on the spunky and progressive-minded sister of Daphne, Eloise Bridgerton. This song officially became her most popular video in her Bridgerton: The Unofficial Musical TikTok repertoire.

As Barlow’s following grew, so too did her and Bear’s dedication to creating a full-length album filled with emotional ballads, bubbly melodies and poetic lyrics encapsulating the complex storyline of the series. 

And, to say that they succeeded in doing so is an understatement.

Not only did Barlow and Bear bring the characters to life through a creative and shocking medium, but they also exposed a brand new array of different perspectives from each of the main and supporting characters. This proved itself to be the most impressive part of their creative interpretation of the show, in my opinion. 

So, you may be asking yourself, “Okay, that’s cool I guess… but what now? What can I expect from any of this?”

I am so glad you asked.

Since the album’s release on Sept. 10th, it has gained much attention and praise from a variety of fans and the official cast and crew of the series. Due to this praise, Barlow and Bear were asked to perform at the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Center Celebration with the famous actor, singer, songwriter and performer, Darren Criss. As well as this, in the first hour and a half of its release, the album reached number one on the pop iTunes charts and every day since its grand debut, the composers have been receiving millions of streams on their new soundtrack.

Opportunities have not just lined up for each of them in the world of performance, but also in the oh-so-exciting world of media and press relations. Due to the composers’ talents and sudden exposure to stardom, Barlow and Bear have been seen doing interviews for Broadway World, Hollywood Life, Playbill, The Kelly Clarkson Show, Entertainment Tonight, and many more notable media outlets. You can also see the two, beautiful women projected over Times Square on the cover of their album. 

Now, if that isn’t a dream come true for aspiring musicians, I don’t know what else is. 

As for the question of whether or not the musical will actually become a Broadway sensation, the answer is… I don’t know. 

Of course, there is talk amongst Barlow and Bear surrounding their dream cast and the hopes of putting their stamp on the infamous and prestigious Theatre District of New York City. But, sadly I can only leave you with this final thought…

Although Bridgerton: The Unofficial Musical is still in its infancy, we can only hope and dream that one day we will each have the privilege of seeing Bridgerton: The ‘OFFICIAL’ Musical on the big stage and Barlow and Bear’s names shimmering in bright lights.

For now, I ask all of you to take a second and download this amazing soundtrack. Not only will you become mesmerized by the creativity and accuracy of the album, but you will also be proud of the success achieved by two, seemingly normal and passionate, female musicians. 

Just like the Bridgerton series changed the life of Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear, it also significantly altered and blurred the distinct line between the worlds of television, social media and musical theatre. And, quite frankly, I hope those lines remain blurred for a very long time. 

Hi! My name is Olivia Johnson and I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri! I was born and raised in Kansas City, but I live full-time in Columbia now! I love to write, research and sing (super random... I know). I have two dogs (a Goldendoodle named Larry and a Bernedoodle named Sully) and a cat (a Himalayan named Julius)! I love everything beauty, fashion, and lifestyle, so I love HER and the wide range of topics I can talk about here! Make sure you follow me on all of my social media accounts listed down below and make sure to follow the rest of the Her Campus team! Happy reading! Instagram: oliviagalejohnson Twitter: _OliviaJohnson_ LinkedIn: Olivia Johnson - https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivia-johnson-49739a206/