This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Apparently it’s breakup season. Is that what the experts are saying? No. Have I witnessed multiple relationships come to an end in the past month? Absolutely yes. If you’ve fallen victim to this unfortunate spike of breakups, I’m sorry for all you are going through. It is important to remind yourself, however, how worthy of love you are.

There are so many emotions that swing back and forth when you’re going through a breakup. Lucky for you, there is nothing wrong with that. It’s completely normal to feel sad one minute and then be on top of the world shining with a new sense of freedom the next. The good news is that there is a song for every type of occasion and emotion during your healing phase. 

Music is beyond powerful. Putting feelings into words releases the built-up weight of life we all carry silently on our shoulders. What better way to cope with heartbreak than to press shuffle on the breakup playlist that captures all the feelings there are to capture? The relief. The anger. The sadness. The excitement. From the “I deserved better” to the “I miss you” moments. None of these emotions are wrong to feel but what is right is to express them through the music you blast in the car, in the shower or in your headphones while you walk to class.  

Not sure where to start? That’s where I come in. Here are my picks—classics and new releases by small artists—to add to your breakup playlist: 

Your Slow, Sad, Angry Songs to Let it all Out to

• “Astronaut” by Griff
  • “Break My Heart Again” by FINNEAS
  • “Liability” by Lorde
  • “Reckless” by Maison Beer
  • “Lonely” by Noah Cyrus
  • “Strange” by Celeste
  • “Solo” by Myles Smith
  • “Because of You” by Kelly Clarkson
  • “this is what autumn feels like” by JVKE
  • “Changes” by Hayd
  • “159 Days” by Sofia Gomez
  • “Blue Over You” by Mason Ramsey
  • “Just Because” by Sadie Jean
  • “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish 
  • “Last Kiss” by Taylor Swift
  • “All of the Stars” by Hayd
  • “Moral of the Story” by Ashe
  • “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey
  • “I miss you, I’m sorry” by Gracie Abrams
  • “The Neighborhood” by Grace Enger 
  • “Set Me Free” by Joshua Bassett
  • “Just Because” by Sadie Jean
  • “The First Cut is the Deepest” by Sheryl Crow 
  • “Good Guys Don’t Change” by NERIAH
  • “Pride” by Noah Kahan & mxmtoon
  • “21” by Gracie Abrams
  • “July” by Noah Cyrus
  • “Breaking Up Slowly” by Lana Del Rey & Nikki Lane

Your Screw You, I’m Moving on and I’ll be Okay Songs

• “Since You Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
  • “Exes” by Tate McRae
  • “IDGAF” by Dua Lipa
  • “Friends” by Big Gigantic & Ashe
  • “Ego” by Paige Fish
  • “Gives You Hell” by The All-American Rejects
  • “All Love” by FLETCHER
  • “Salt” by Ava Max
  • “Fuck Love” by Jake Austin Walker
  • “STUPID” by Ashnikko & Baby Tate
  • “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus
  • “Lonelier” by Party Pupils & MAX (feat. Alna)
  • “Abcdefu” by GAYLE
  • “Keep On” by Sasha Alex Sloan
  • “We Are Never Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift
  • “Good Kisser” by Lake Street Dive
  • “You’re Such A” by Hailey Steinield
  • “hot girl bummer” by blackbear
  • “What the Hell” by Avril Lavigne

THE breakup album: Olivia Rodrigo

What’s up with the lack of Olivia Rodrigo in the list above? You may have been wondering and concerned about the lack of such a prevalent figure in breakup songs. That’s because it is only fair to have a whole separate category for the classic breakup song artist. Even prior to my breakup, while I was in a happy and committed relationship, I would listen to “SOUR” on repeat and scream it in the car. Let me tell you, her songs hit even more when you can find parallels in your own life. Some of my favorites include “traitor”, “enough for you”, “the grudge” and “happier”. But in reality, any of her songs will suffice. 

Whether you are newly single or six months post-breakup, music heals. I hope these song suggestions assist you in this process of closure and in your bitter-sweet time of growth. Remember: you’re not alone and you are significantly worthy of love. 

Don’t have time to add your favorites from this pool to your own playlist? Here’s a pre-made one to make your life a little easier in this difficult time.

Ellie Weien

Mizzou '26

My name is Ellie Weien and I am studying Strategic Communications at the MU J-School. I have always loved the outdoors, hiking and camping as I grew up in Colorado. But aside from nature I grew up loving rom-coms, reality tv, music and fashion. I'm excited to be writing for Her Campus to highlight and share topics I find interesting and enjoy.