Book It To The Theater: The Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Release Date: March 23, 2012
Genre: A futuristic action-packed drama with a romantic twist mixed in. It’s full of suspense that is sure to leave you on the edge of your seat!
Similar to: Twilight romance-wise, X-Men action-wise, Star Trek futuristic-wise
Stars: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth

Based on the extremely popular book by Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games focuses on 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen’s struggles with a corrupt dystopian government. It is set in the future where “tributes” are selected from the youth population to fight to the death. The catch? The whole battle is televised live to the entire country. When Katniss volunteers to take her younger sister’s place as tribute, she finds herself in the middle of a love triangle as she is simultaneously fighting for her life. The Hunger Games is so unique that it’s hard to categorize by a certain genre or type of movie. One thing is for sure: It will be loved by all genders and ages because of its undeniable ability to keep you intrigued to the very last second!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.