The Bold Type is a Breath of Fresh Air for Millennial Womenkal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Note from the editor: Some spoilers ahead!

The orgasm gap, immigration, Islamophobia, Trump and sexual assault.

These are just some of the topics The Bold Type addresses throughout the ten episodes of its spectacular first season. The new show from Freeform, previously ABC Family, is a fresh, modern and unapologetically feminist show that places female friendship at the center of its story. The show follows Jane, Kat and Sutton as they attempt to succeed at Scarlett Magazine, the fictional version of Cosmopolitan. 

Co-produced by Joanna Coles, former editor-in-chief of Cosmo and all-around badass, The Bold Type is a prime example of how a show can focus on female-centered narratives while still being fun, engaging and just plain, good television. Jane, Kat and Sutton are all motivated, ambitious women who put their careers first. The male characters in the show are mostly just love interests for our main characters, flipping the script on how females are usually portrayed as one-dimensional love interests for male characters.

The show also does a great job of highlighting important societal issues. In the series’ very first episode, we are introduced to a queer romance between two women of color, one of which happens to be Muslim. The Adena/Kat pairing has its ups and downs throughout the season, as we follow along with Kat’s struggle to define her sexuality and Adena’s struggle with our country’s immigration system.

The show also addresses the orgasm gap between men and women, when Jane is assigned to write a “Best Orgasm” piece when she herself has never actually had an orgasm. Throughout Jane’s journey to write her article, the show highlights how often female pleasure is pushed to the side when it comes to sex. Jane refuses to give into society’s unfair double standard and, in a truly empowering moment, makes it known to her romantic partner that her pleasure should be a priority.  

The show’s most powerful moment comes during the last episode of the season. Jane is assigned to write an article about a sexual assault victim who was denied the opportunity for justice. Jacqueline Carlisle, Scarlett’s editori-in-chief and mentor to the three main characters, is unusually hard on Jane about the piece. Jacqueline insists that Jane cover this sensitive topic in an appropriate way, and she obviously wants Scarlett’s audience to realize what an important issue sexual assault is. The show reveals later that Jacqueline is so invested in the piece because she herself is a sexual assault survivor. The reveal of Jacqueline’s past is without a doubt the most memorable and important moments of the entire series. The show handles the topic of sexual assault with sensitivity and grace, while simultaneously communicating that it is 100% unacceptable and an important issue our society needs to address. I was personally very moved by the last episode, and Jacqueline’s reveal nearly brought me to tears. 

The show does have its flaws. No, it does not realistically portray life in New York City. But, let’s be honest, what movie or TV show ever has (I’m looking at you, Sex and the City)? The show could also explore more topics, such as intersectionality, beyond simply surface level analysis. But, overall, The Bold Type is uplifting, empowering and 100% needs to be renewed for a second season. Our media landscape desperately needs more feminist, female-centered television shows. So, to quote Vanity Fair, “For the love of God and Louboutin, give The Bold Type another season.” 

HC Contributer Mizzou