Black History Month: Black Health and Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

February is dedicated to Black History Month: a month that focuses on honoring the triumphs and struggles of African Americans throughout the United States history. Each year, a different theme is dedicated to focusing the public’s attention on the Black experience in the United States.

“The intention of the themes is not to dictate or limit the exploration of the Black culture, but to bring to the public’s attention to important developments that merit emphasis,” according to the Association for the Study of African American Life and History, or ASALH.

Black Health and Wellness is this year’s Black History Month theme. The idea of Black Health and Wellness honors the legacy of Black scholars, medical practitioners, birth workers, doulas, midwives, naturopaths and healers throughout the African continent and diaspora.

The 2022 theme looks at all medicinal activities, rituals and initiatives that Black communities have continued to maintain health throughout time.

“In order to foster good health and wellness, Black people have embarked on self-determination, mutual aid and social support initiatives to build hospitals, medical and nursing schools,” according to the ASALH.

Black established medical colleges, hospitals and training schools provide safe spaces for Black people to counter the economic and health disparities and discrimination that are found at countless mainstream institutions. The individuals, grassroots organizations and mutual aid societies founded places such as Meharry Medical College, Howard University College of Medicine, Provident Hospital and Training School and Morehouse School of Medicine to allow for more diverse representation in all segments of the medical and health programs.

Today, even the impact of popular culture figures like Doc McStuffins cannot be dismissed.

As we celebrate Black History Month in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, the ASALH asserts that “Black communities must look to the past to provide the light for our future, by embracing the rituals, traditions and healing modalities of [their] ancestors.”

To learn more about Black History at Mizzou, check out the upcoming events hosted by the Black Studies program this month.

Trinidy is a Senior at Mizzou studying Journalism and German. She loves journaling, cooking, and traveling. Trinidy has a terrible coffee and ice cream addictions, but it could be worse!