Best Super Bowl Commercials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The Super Bowls seems to be the one sporting event of the season that draws a huge crowd, regardless of interest in the teams or sport.  If you’re not in it for the football, you’re there for the parties, the delicious little appetizers, the halftime show or, most importantly, the commercials.  If you think about it, it’s pretty funny that people spend all year DVRing TV shows so they can avoid commercials or downloading AdBlock on their laptops to avoid any and all form of ads but, when it comes to the Super Bowl, people go crazy for the commercials.  I know when I watch, people talk more during the actual game, then get quiet and pay attention when the commercials come on.  It’s like Christmas in the advertising business.  Some commercials are funny, some are heartfelt and some are just downright outrageous.  Here’s a list of our favorite commercials from Super Bowl LI.

1. Budweiser, “Born the Hard Way”

When it comes to the Super Bowl, Budweiser knows exactly how to succeed.  Year after year Budweiser has produced memorable Super Bowl favorites. This year, Budweiser strayed away from its heartwarming Budweiser Clydesdales for a thought provoking, mind catching tale of its founder’s journey to America.  The commercial most definitely stood out, provoked a reaction and was remembered.  Despite the fact that Budweiser claimed their ad was not political, the brand did receive some controversy from viewers who believed the ad was making a statement against Trump’s recent immigration policy.  No matter their motives, Budweiser’s ad was a success because it got people talking.  

And politics aside, the commercial was beautifully made and told a meaningful story of the brand’s history.  It introduced America to the founder of Anheuser-Busch, connecting audiences to the one man who began it all, who started from nothing and eventually built one of the most successful brands in America.

2. Audi, #DriveProgress

Like Budweiser, several brands sent a political message, with Audi being no exception.  The message was about equal pay for equal work, and it was powerfully demonstrated.  Regardless of political affiliation, a father’s love for his child and thoughts about his daughter’s future strike a chord with almost everyone.  The hashtag #DriveProgress aims to instill the Audi brand in the movement for a progressive future, promising that the company is committed to equal pay for equal work.

3. Mr. Clean, “Cleaner of Your Dreams”

Mr. Clean has got it going on.  Never before did I consider women falling for the mascot of the Magic Eraser, but after seeing Mr. Clean’s seductive dance moves, people went wild.  The Mr. Clean Fantasy commercial led to all kinds of crazy memes online which has only helped their ad get more and more attention.  

4. Wix, with Jason Statham and Gal Gadot

Viewers found this action-packed mini-movie to be a huge success, and some are even begging Wix to turn it into a full-length movie.  This ad has it all: creativity, star power, a great soundtrack, fight scenes, insane stunts, an engaging plot and even some humor. 

For more action, check out the director’s cut version.

5. Honda, “Yearbooks”

Honda’s ad was definitely packed with A-listers.  With Steve Carrell, Tina Fey, Jimmy Kimmel, Viola Davis, Amy Adams, Magic Johnson and even more, this commercial definitely wins for most star power.  But more than just celebrities, Honda told a fun and lighthearted message using unfortunate yearbook photos.  It was eye-catching, entertaining and incorporated the brand well through a yearbook photo of its own.  

6. Kia, “Hero’s Journey”

Kia Niro’s spot, featuring Melissa McCarthy saving the planet, topped USA Today’s AdMeter and for good reason.  It was high energy, engaging and humorous, and viewers clearly loved it.  Kia’s ad plays tribute to environmentalism and eco-activists, with McCarthy battling illegal whalers, evil corporations behind deforestation and polar ice caps, all while risking her life in outrageous scenarios.  

There were clearly countless more great Super Bowl commercials, so if you missed some of them due to a poorly planned snack or bathroom break, check them all out here

HC Contributer Mizzou