This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you speak Spanish, are looking to improve your skills or are just wanting some culture in your life, Netflix is here for you – this time with some great Spanish shows to binge in your free time. 

La Casa de Papel (Money Heist)

This suspense-driven thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last episode. The two season show is about a group of robbers attempting to pull off the largest heist in Spanish history, by robbing the Royal Mint of Spain. However, not everything goes exactly as planned. With hostages, romances and new discoveries in every episode, this show is sure to steal not only money, but also your attention. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

Gran Hotel

Period dramas are so in right now, and Gran Hotel is the perfect show to compliment your Mr. Darcy phase. This three season drama is set in an early 20th century aristocratic hotel and is centered on the mysteries that involve the owner’s family and the hotel servants. Gran Hotel is a thrilling show that beautifully illustrates the hierarchies of the 1900’s, as well as class socialization, all tied in with what appears to be no less than murder. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

ELITE

This show is classism at its finest. A typical high school drama show with a twist – much like Riverdale, but in that suave Spanish tongue. The series starts where it ends, with what appears to be a death of a student, and then backtracks the season with the events that may have led up to the death. The show is about three public school students who receive scholarships to attend an elite (hence the title name) private school, where fitting in may well be the least of their problems. This three season thriller is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

Las Chicas del Cable (Cable Girls)

One of the largest Spanish series on Netflix with six seasons, Cable Girls delves into the revolution of four females working at the National Telephone Company in Madrid. Both romantic and dramatic, this show is sure to empower your soul and employ your attention. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

La Casa de las Flores (The House of Flowers)

If you want a show that is both progressive and inclusive, look no further. The series is about an upper-class family who owns a prestigious flower shop and cabaret, and their struggle to maintain superiority in a changing world. This Mexican comedy-drama features a diversive cast and characters, and addresses topics such as race, homophobia, transphobia, class and sexuality. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

Velvet

Spanish is a romance language, and this program is quite romantic. Velvet features fashion, fun and of course, love, as a seamstress falls in love with the owner of her company, despite his family’s objections. The drama is there, but this show is a romance at heart. Watch it in English or Spanish with the subtitles of your choice. 

So, hop on your couch and get bingeing; after watching these shows, you’ll be a natural linguist with a flair for drama. Enjoy!

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.
HC Contributer Mizzou