Becoming “That Girl”: Past and Present “It Girls” Weigh-In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

A wise woman once said, “If you just believe you’re that girl, you have no choice but to be that girl.” 

That wise woman is a rap legend, certified hottie and “It Girl” Megan Thee Stallion. But if you’re like me and need a little more solid guidance on becoming “that girl,” I’ve compiled a list of advice and tricks from other “it girls” throughout history.

Who is “that girl?”

Doing a quick search for “that girl” on any social media platform, from Instagram to TikTok to Twitter, will pull up a plethora of posts that usually include a host of wellness-oriented content including workout routines, perfect Pinterest poses and most importantly, ridiculous amounts of self-confidence.

According to Urban Dictionary, “that girl” is a girl who gets up at 5 a.m., meditates, drinks smoothies, showers every day, journals, eats only healthy food, goes to the gym every day, and is successful.

Because health and wellness look different for everyone, for this article, we’re putting aside those strict definitions of “healthy eating” and “enough exercise” and defining “that girl” as the most healthy, confident version of you.

Blair Waldorf

If you grew up on Gossip Girl like me, you know that Queen B’s word is the law. Her advice? Don’t enter or stay in relationships if you aren’t being treated as well as you deserve. Have high expectations for everyone in your life, and set boundaries. This may mean losing a few relationships and that can be hard, but at the end of the day, you’ll be better off.

As Waldorf once said, “You deserve a guy who would move mountains to be with you if he had to.”

Rihanna 

“Needed Me” singer Rihanna isn’t afraid to admit that she relies on her friends, so why should you? Even if your circle isn’t made up of A-listers like Beyonce and Katy Perry, you can’t go wrong with having a close-knit, loyal group of friends.

“Said I’ll always be your friend, took an oath Ima stick it out to the end,” she sang in “Umbrella.”

Marilyn Monroe

The blonde bombshell is more than just the face and voice of the ’50s, she was also an original “it girl.” Her advice is simple: get a good night’s sleep. We’re talking eight to 10 hours here. Though she admits nights are “not just for sleep,” she admits that beauty sleep is essential, both cosmetically and emotionally.

“The nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream,” Monroe once said.

Bella Hadid

It’s hard to imagine the newest “it girl,” model Bella Hadid, struggling with anything. However, in a recent interview, the star admitted to not only attending therapy, but to being the first in her traditional family to do so. Hadid’s advice would likely be more along the lines of seeking help when you need it, whatever that looks like for you.

“I grew up in a very Arab and European family that therapy was not a thing,” Hadid said. “That was a big step forward that progressed kind of my whole family’s chance of healing because everyone followed.”

The “that girl” trend on social media can lead you down a dangerous rabbit hole of insecurities. In order to truly be your best self, return to simple good habits: sleep, healthy relationships and mental wellness.

Anna Sago

Mizzou '25

Hi, I'm Anna :). I'm a sophomore at Mizzou originally from Northeast TN. I'm a journalism major with minors in information tech and art history. I love to write about music, movies and fashion. In my spare time, I like to run and hang out with my cats!