This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The holiday season is approaching, and with that comes festive décor! One of my favorite ways to get in the holiday spirit is decorating my apartment for the season. Like many of you, I am on a college student budget and it can be difficult to find affordable holiday décor this time of year. Here are a few ways you can decorate your space affordably and as festively as ever! 

Indoor lights 

One of the easiest ways to decorate for the holidays is by hanging up indoor lights. I bet you already have some laying around. If not, I have you covered! You can purchase these on amazon for just $13! I also have some hanging up in my living room! These bright lights will instantly make your space feel more festive!

Original photo of Christmas lights in a living room
Original photo by Addison Fouts
Pompom garland

Another great way to make your space festive for the holidays is a DIY pompom garland. These are very easy to make and can be a fun activity for you and your friends. All you have to purchase is some yarn and any other décor you would like to add to the garland. Rachel Joy has a wonderful tutorial on this process. However, if you’re in a time crunch I totally understand! Finals are coming up, requiring a lot of study time. If you don’t have time to make your own, Target has a great option for you! That’s where I got mine.

Original photo taken of pompom garland Christmas decorations
Original photo by Addison Fouts
Hanging ornaments 

This one might sound a little silly, but trust me when I say it looks cute. I would recommend purchasing some oversized ornaments and then using thumbtacks to hang them on the ceiling. I chose some disco balls that will look great even to celebrate the holidays, especially the New Year. I also may be a little biased because it reminds me of Taylor Swift’s song “Mirrorball.” It looks cute and is pretty effortless. Once again, got these cute ornaments at Target in the dollar section. Give this a try and let me know what you think!

Original photo of disco ball ornaments for Christmas decor
Original photo by Addison Fouts
Pillows

Let’s be honest, pillows are our favorite way to decorate for the holidays. Few things are as exciting as getting a new comfy and cute throw pillow. They can instantly make your space look festive and ready for the holidays. This is especially great if you are in a dorm room and don’t have as much room for other décor options. As you might expect, my favorite place to shop for pillows is Target! You can find this Christmas tree one for $10! Such a great deal! They have such a great selection, allowing you to customize your space.

Original photo of Christmas pillows as decor
Original photo by Addison Fouts
Scented Pinecones 

You might typically see scented pinecones in a tree or around a tree, but I don’t have one, so I had to make do with what I had. Here are some ideas for these amazing pinecones! 

Please trust me when it comes to this one. I know it might look silly having a bag of pinecones laying around, but believe me when I tell you this was the best $5 I’ve ever spent. I would recommend finding a cute bowl or centerpiece to lay them in, but we are on a budget here, so make do with what you can! The best thing about scented pinecones is that they last an extremely long time. They are also exponentially cheaper than a candle and you won’t have to worry about breaking any rules about having candles in your dorm. 

Original photo of pinecones as Christmas decor
Original photo by Addison Fouts

I hope you enjoyed these affordable ways to decorate your space this holiday season. I think any DIY project can be fun, and using things you may already have can make any space more festive. Let me know if you use any of these tips and what you think of them. Happy Holidays! 

Hi! My name is Addison Fouts and I am a senior here at Mizzou. I'm our social media manager for twitter, threads, and facebook! I'm majoring in journalism but plan to go to law school. I love fashion, makeup, and anything lifestyle. I also love traveling and going to concerts! I'm so excited for you all to read my articles, and for more updates follow me on my socials! LinkedIn: Addison Fouts https://www.linkedin.com/in/addison-fouts-a09a71229/