This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Oh, sweater vests, how I adore you. If there is one item I currently can’t live without, it’s sweater vests. It all started when I bought a white knit sweater vest from Target in November and instantly fell in love. Before making the ultimate purchase, I watched girls on TikTok layering sweater vests with long sleeve shirts, collared button-ups and T-shirts, and wanted one for myself so badly.

It wasn’t until I accidentally stumbled upon the sweater vest in Target that I knew the waiting game was over. Truthfully, I was worried that it just wouldn’t look good on me, even though sweater vests were becoming the hottest piece of clothing towards the end of last year.

As writers for Glamour UK explain, the sweater vest isn’t a passing trend; it’s here to stay. So, we might as well become comfortable with it.

“Forget what you thought you knew: the new sweater vest is infinitely more modern, contemporary, and a whole lot cooler than the sweater vests your granddad used to wear,” according to Glamour UK.

I’m not kidding when I say I wear at least one sweater vest every week. I have eight in my closet and each one is so unique. They each fit differently and meet all of my needs. Not only has this trend allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone and fall in love with basic layering, but it’s also allowed me to experiment more with color.

Before this, I wouldn’t have been caught dead wearing a bright orange and pink outfit, but when I saw an orange and pink striped sweater vest hanging on a display at H&M, I knew I had to have it. There’s just something about finding new fabrics, designs and color combinations on sweater vests that makes it so exciting and keeps you wanting more.

Each sweater vest is so different than the next and I’ve been a big fan of cropped ones that sit just above your belt. These are perfect for layering with chunky gold necklaces. What’s also great is that you can find sweater vests with built-in turtle neck collars and layer them with a scoop neck long sleeve.

When it comes to deciding whether or not to go for an oversized look or buy a vest that fits perfectly, it honestly comes down to personal preference and how the armholes of the specific garment are cut. I have a mix of both oversized and tighter-fitting sweater vests that I love. Both styles look so unique and iconic.

I highly recommend going to H&M and browsing their selection because of the large variety and affordable price points. Typically, prices range from $12.99-$29.99 and you can join H&M Rewards to earn an additional 10% off and also have the 15% college student discount on top of that.

This article was inspired by a HerCampus Purdue article from 2020.

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!