Cameron Smith-Girl Colorado Travel Hiking Trees Nature Hat Sunglasses
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

A Guide to Winter Hiking in Columbia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We have one month of winter left before spring blooms. After one more good snow, we’re in the clear. Unfortunately, we’re not there yet. Here are five of the best parks to hike in Columbia, Mo., even when the ground is coated in snow and ice.

The Pinnacles 

The Pinnacles stand about 15 miles north of Columbia. The geological anomalies tower at 75 feet tall and stretch over 1,000 feet wide. Two streams border the rock archways and are slowly slimming down the massive limestone. Here, hikers can find a variety of trails. Cat Trail is quick and easy for families and Heart-Attack Hill offers a demanding, steep trail for more advanced hikers. (Seriously, it lives up to its name.) Wear pants in the summer to protect against poison ivy and stay on the trails. The Pinnacles are over 300 million years old and the park wants to keep them preserved. 

Hours: 8:00 a.m. to sunset.

Facilities: Grills, picnic tables and restrooms are provided.

Hiking trail
Original photo by Emma Lingo

Capen Park

Capen Park offers scenic overlooks and bluffs ready for climbing. The relatively new nature area sits in the middle of the city on Rock Quarry Road and connects Grindstone Nature Area and Hinkson Creek Trail. (Hikers can take advantage of all three parks if they’re up to the challenge!) The park is beginner-friendly with most of the trails coming in around 0.5 miles. Additionally, the bluffs have a 113-foot elevation gain and offer great rock climbing opportunities if hikers can provide their own gear.

Hours: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. 

Facilities: Rock climbing paths are provided. 

Hiking trail
Original photo by Emma Lingo

Devil’s Icebox

The Devil’s Icebox is the main attraction at Rock Bridge Memorial State Park. The trail takes hikers up flights of wooden steps, through stone arches and past clear streams to reach Connor’s Cave. The 7-mile cave stays a cool 56 degrees all year, hence its nickname. It takes less than 20 minutes to walk from the parking lot to the cave and it can be explored without a guide. Bring good shoes and a light source.

Pro-tip: Take a photo with flash at the back of the cave and adventurers will see the ceiling light up due to the natural micha embedded in the rocks. 

Hours: The area is open until sunset.

Hiking trail
Original photo by Emma Lingo

Boathenge

This kitschy spot down Route K is just off the bank of the Missouri River. Local artists stood boats up on their sides and arranged them to look like the much more well-known Stonehenge. They first appeared after the flood of 1993.

“Local expert historians insist that BoatHenge appeared overnight the first day of spring, having sprouted from the earth or fallen from the sky,” according to BoatHenge.net.

The boats are a trek if it’s just rained, but otherwise, they stand clear and proud on the side of the Katy Trail. Hikers can reach them by taking trails from Jefferson City, Rocheport, or, of course, Columbia. 

Hours: Open 24/7

Facilities: None.

Hiking trail
Original photo by Emma Lingo

Clyde Wilson Memorial Park

This park technically is only a 1.5-mile trail. But, for more adventurous folks, it has a lot more to offer. Off-trail paths have been beaten down by college students and residents over the years and if hikers are lucky enough to find one, they can sit by the stream that flows alongside the off-trails, explore the abandoned tower in the woods or marvel at the natural bridges that have formed. Plus, it’s right off of the Mizzou campus. Taking a trip to lot A-9 (where the park is located) could make your time in between classes a lot more fun.

Hours: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. 

Facilities: None.

Hiking trail
Original photo by Emma LIngo

There are plenty of trails in Columbia for you to choose from. Check out ComoTrails for more ideas and be safe out there! Until spring, happy hiking!

Emma Lingo is the senior editor at Her Campus’s University of Missouri chapter. She oversees the entertainment and culture verticals on the site, including television, movies, and book coverage. Beyond Her Campus, Emma works as a freelance writer. Her bylines have appeared in The List, The Missourian, Vox Magazine, Shifter Magazine and more. She will graduate with a major in journalism in Summer 2023 with an emphasis on reporting and writing. In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, journaling, and hanging out with her cat Tuna. She’s a certified Swiftie who has a major bone to pick with John Mayer and is always down to go from a drive and blast music.