Life > Academics

A Guide to Mizzou for International Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With college acceptance letters rolling in and the fall semester quickly approaching, I’d like to give a warm welcome to our newly accepted international students! Moving abroad may seem terrifying right now, but with the right tools and support system, Mizzou feels like a second home in no time. From one international student to another, here is everything I suggest you do to have the best possible experience here at Mizzou.

Pre-arrival preparations

With such a big move ahead of you, it’s important to stay calm and list everything you have to complete before leaving your home country. It is best to contact your international advisor with any last-minute questions you might have about any forms and visa paperwork that you still have to fill out.

Be sure to balance the stressful task of organizing paperwork with more fun tasks, like packing! Missouri weather tends to fluctuate a lot from month to month, so it is best to bring a large variety of clothing with you. You will need both summer clothes and thick winter gear throughout the fall semester. Don’t forget your sunglasses, gloves and hats, as it’s important to protect your whole body during extreme weather. Pack familiar objects as well, including keepsakes that will remind you of your home and family.

Welcome to Mizzou!

Once you arrive on campus, it’s best to find a buddy and stick with them during your first few weeks. This could be your roommate or a fellow international student you meet during orientation. The campus will seem a lot less scary if you have someone to experience it with for the first time. It might seem like everyone fits right in and you’re the odd one out, but believe me, everyone is as scared as you are.

I suggest starting exploring campus as soon as possible:

• Finding your classes
  • Trying out the dining halls
  • Checking out a few of the restaurants and shops downtown

This way, you won’t feel lost during the first week of classes, when you’ll be trying to make your way around AND arrive at your destination on time. 

One way to integrate yourself with the Mizzou community is by joining a student organization. With over 650 of those to choose from, you’ll be able to find the right place for yourself in no time. Specifically geared towards international students, the Missouri International Student Council is a great place to start. 

“We host events to spread awareness and knowledge about the nationality and cultures represented on our campus,” MISC president Maya Moreau said. “We also collaborate with cultural organizations on our campus to do that and make sure that the people from those countries and cultures are represented and can have a voice at the events.”

And most importantly, relax. You’ll make great friends, explore new places and live the life you’ve been dreaming about. See you in the fall!

Mara Dumitru

Mizzou '24

Mara Dumitru is a magazine journalism student from San Fransisco, CA. You can find her enjoying an iced coffee and a good book on Mizzou's quad during her free time.