8 Reasons Why We Can’t Wait For ‘Gilmore Girls’ On Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With the iconic TV hit “Gilmore Girls” coming to Netflix on Oct. 1 (who’s counting?), we will all get the chance to relive the Rory and Lorelai glory days. “Gilmore Girls” was a staple for moms, daughters and viewers alike, but what really makes this show Netflix binge-watch worthy? Well, there are about 101 reasons. So, in case you needed any more incentive to watch all 153 episodes in three days, these are just a few of the many reasons to watch “Gilmore Girls” again and again this fall.

1. Crushable cuties 

Dean, Jess, Logan, Luke… the list goes on. Preppy and clean-cut to bad boys in leather jackets, every girl can find the heartthrob of their dreams. The men of Stars Hollow are as dreamy as they are cute, and are a completely viable excuse to have a “Gilmore Girls” marathon with your suitemates.

2. Best friends

Sookie and Lane are two best friends that everybody wants in their life. Hilarious and always there to be a shoulder to cry on, both Rory and Lorelai hit the best friend jackpot throughout the seven seasons of the show. With all of the episodes on Netflix, you can watch the entire friendships go through trials, tribulations, a gossip sesh (or 20), and (spoiler alert!) babies.  

3. Witty banter

Ever have that moment where you wish you knew exactly what to say, and exactly when to say it? Well, then take notes from our beloved Lorelai because her witty comebacks and story-telling are enough to keep you coming back for more. Add Snooki and Rory into the mix, and you’ve got a combo that will keep you laughing even after the episode is finished.

4. Girl problems

Hate Mondays? Lack of patience? General dislike for the male population at any given moment? Yeah, us too. And it just so happens that “Gilmore Girls” understands completely.  Sarcasm and Chinese food are the solution to all problems life throws at you, and no one quite captures that like them. So snuggle up with some sesame chicken and enjoy the glory of the knowledge that is all things girl problems. 

5. Small-town charm 

Stars Hollow is the picturesque, quaint small-town that everybody wishes they grew up in. Who wouldn’t want to go to Luke’s for breakfast or visit the Dragonfly Inn for a fun stay-cation once in a while? It’s the perfect combination of lovable familiarity and quirky characters that you can’t help but love, even when they slightly bug you (Kirk, anyone?).

6. College inspiration

There wasn’t a single time when any “Gilmore Girls” fan didn’t consider applying to Yale after seeing Rory go to college. The fall fashion, secret societies and dorm-room drama made elite private school seem like a dreamland. But if anything, we can all relate to missing our moms and our comfortable beds the first week of school. Rory prepared all of us for the changes that college brought and, luckily, taught us how to have a good time in spite of them.

7. “Where You Lead”

The beloved Carole King song was the theme for “Gilmore Girls” for all seven seasons. Featuring a catchy tune and heartwarming lyrics, “Where You Lead” led us all into every episode ready to find out what was new and exciting in the lives of Lorelai and Rory. “Gilmore Girls” wouldn’t be the same without Carole King’s hit, and the song will stay in our hearts forever as the show’s most beloved introduction.

8. Mother-daughter duo

The basis of the entire show is Rory and Lorelai’s relationship — a friendship-based, mother-daughter dynamic that all audiences loved to watch unfold. From crazy birthday pizzas to late-night cuddle sessions, Rory and Lorelai were two people that grew up together, despite the occasional fight or embarrassing story. Their love for each other made all moms and daughters want to hug it out, even when they were struggling to get along with the hard-to-love Richard and Emily Gilmore. If “Gilmore Girls” taught us anything, it was that love — whether from a mom, sister, cousin, aunt, grandma or friend — is the most important thing to have in your life. So go watch “Gilmore Girls” on Oct. 1. You definitely won’t regret it.

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.