7 Ways To Transition Your Wardrobe From Summer To Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You may think the Missouri weather is trying to trick you, but the beginning of fall will be here in no time. In the middle of a weather limbo, it may seem impossible to find the perfect outfit that goes with your pumpkin spice latte and is still comfortable under the sun. When you don’t know if you should wear shorts or jeans, boots or sandals, getting dressed in the morning might be more stressful than your 8 a.m. class. To avoid fashion mayhem and unneeded stress, here are seven ways that you can easily turn that summer staple into fall features.

1. Scarves. They are a must for accessorizing in the fall. From infinity scarves to traditional knots, scarves can be paired with almost any style of shirt, bottoms or jacket. They add a pop of color to a simple outfit, so a comfortable solid color shirt and jeans becomes fashion-forward and adorable. To accommodate both the hot and chilly at the same time, choose scarves that are made of a light, breezy fabric, and save those super soft and warm knit scarves for the colder autumn months.

2. Denim Jacket. A staple for all wardrobes, a denim jacket can turn any summer look into fall fashion in no time. They are comfortable, easy to layer and extremely versatile. Try pairing a denim jacket with ultra-feminine pieces, like dresses or skirts, to add a cute and casual spin on summer basics. If it’s too hot for a full-on denim jacket, a denim shirt made of a lightweight fabric is a great alternative to get the look while staying cool.

3. Tights. A pair of tights is one of the easiest ways to turn any summer skirt into an acceptable fall piece. Thinner, slightly sheer tights will give you a lighter autumn look. When it starts to cool off later in the season, switch out the sheer tights for thicker, more opaque ones that will provide more warmth but still look great with your summer wardrobe.

4. Boots. Cowboy boots, riding boots, short booties, heeled boots – anyone can find the style of boots that matches their fashion preferences. With tights and a skirt or simply a dress and a denim jacket, boots are an easy way to revamp super summery pieces into everyday fall basics. The best part? You can wear your craziest fuzzy socks with them when the colder fall weather rolls around.

5. Cardigans. Much like a denim jacket or shirt, cardigans can be thrown on to turn any outfit into a fall one. Cardigans come in a variety of colors and patterns so there is always an option no matter what you’re wearing. They are also easy to fold and fit into small places, like a backpack or a larger purse, if it gets too warm outside. Cardigans that are easy to style and even easier to layer?  Yes, please!

6. Bright Colors. Fall is the season when darker browns, burgundies and purples come out, but who says that you can’t still rock that hot pink crop top you wore in July? To play down the intensity of bright summer colors, pair them with more neutral pieces that provide warmth, comfort and versatility. Keep the bright color the focal point of your outfit, and avoid color blocking with other high-intensity shades. 

7. Layers. Whether it’s a scarf, cardigan, denim jacket or another clothing piece that you love, always make sure to have removable layers. There’s nothing worse than being stuck in a sweater in 75-degree weather because it was 50 degrees when you left for your morning classes. Make sure that what you’re wearing as your foundation for your outfit is something you feel confident enough to rock on its own.

So go work those autumn outfits, even if the weather is in limbo. Happy fall, everybody!

HC Contributer Mizzou