6 Lessons We’ve Learned From Rom-Coms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Every collegiette can quote their favorite line from that romantic comedy they’ve watched hundreds of times. But did you know that we’re also being exposed to countless life lessons along with those laugh out loud moments and teary grand romantic gestures? Yes, rom-coms can teach collegiettes an abundance of things from how to properly fake an orgasm in the middle of a diner to knowing that Katherine Heigl will never star in any other kind of movie. Here’s what we’ve picked up on:

1. If you have a younger sister, she’s going to get married before you do.

Sorry, big sis. You’re going to be forced to see your baby sister get married to the man of her dreams while you’re still battling it out in the single world. It’s inevitably going to slowly drive you to madness, but don’t worry because along the way you’ll meet your own hubby. That’s how is always works out. (See 27 Dresses, What’s Your Number?, The Wedding Date, etc.)

2. “Just sex” will always turn into “true love.”

It’s a proven fact according to every romantic comedy. It just is. (See No Strings Attached, Friends with Benefits, etc.)

3. Popular, upbeat songs should always be playing while you’re trying on a montage of clothes.

Is there any other way to try on clothes? I didn’t think so. Any time you go shopping with your friends or get that makeover you’ve been wanting, a catchy pop tune should be following you wherever you go. Otherwise, you won’t find that one perfect outfit that’s probably way too expensive. But hey, you end up buying it anyways because budgets don’t exist in romantic comedies. (See Pretty Woman, 27 Dresses, Sex and the City, etc.)

4. If you’re going to make up with someone, do it in the rain.

Obviously the rain is the best place to have that serious talk. Your clothes get drenched, your hair gets ruined, and shouting makes what you have to say ten times more powerful. Who cares if you get pneumonia, because a passionate kiss will always result. Duh. (See The Notebook, Sweet Home Alabama, Dear John, etc.)

5. If you run really fast, you can catch up with that special someone before they leave for some far away place.

Is he or she leaving on a plane, train, or automobile in five minutes even though you’re across town? Don’t worry! If you run really fast and yell at cab drivers you’ll get to that special someone at just the right time. No matter what. (See, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, When Harry Met Sally, Fever Pitch, The Wedding Planner, etc.)

6. His love isn’t true unless he proves it in front of a group of people.

It was just the two of you alone in your apartment? Sorry, that’s not how it should work. (See Never Been Kissed, The Wedding Singer, 27 Dresses, The Proposal, etc.)  Hopefully you picked up on our sarcasm here. But we’re just teasing. We love romantic comedies no matter how cliche or misleading they can be. Secretly, we know that love can be just as grand and dramatic as it is in our favorite rom-coms. Any lessons you, readers, have picked up on? Comment below!

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.