5 Workout Apps That Don’t Cost Money!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Many of us are on a college budget, and after spending $500 on Gumby’s and McDonalds my freshman year, it’s safe to say I will not be dropping $200 on exercise classes that expire after a month. That being said, Spring Break is around the corner and the winter break bulge needs to disappear. To save you all from scheming up some fake names in order to get another first time discount at the Hot Yoga or Pure Barre studio, I have found five apps that will keep you fit and healthy at no cost.

1.  My Fitness Pal:

This app allows you to track your food intake and your physical activity in order to reach a goal weight. It budgets a certain amount of calories each day and lets you know when you have gone over for the day. It also has a handy barcode scan button so that you can scan a food item and have all the information immediately uploaded. At the end of each day, you click on the “complete entry” button and it tells you what you will weigh in 5 weeks if you consume the same amount of food each day.

2.  Nike Running:

The Nike Running app allows you to track your runs, showing the parts where your run was strongest and weakest. It also shows you how many calories you burned, the length of your run, and how fast you went. This app sinks to your music playlist and even has a “power song” option that allows you to click on to push you forward whenever you are ready to quit.  

3.  Daily Ab Workout:

Working on your abdominals has never been easier with this app. It shows you exactly what to do and counts out each workout for you. They have a 5, 7.5 and 10-minute interval lengths.

4.  Nike Training Club:

This app is exactly like having a personal trainer. It has workouts for whatever you want to work on, whether loosing weight, getting toned, or becoming stronger. For those of us who don’t know what “walk out push up to swivel” means, it shows you pictures and a video with exactly what to do. For every specific minute interval you complete you get rewards. You can sink your music to this app as well.

5.  Shop Well:

This app is like having your very own nutritionist walking down the grocery store isles with you. All you have to do is scan the barcode of an item you want to purchase and it will tell you personalized food scores based on what you have set up as your needs. This is great for people who have certain health conditions, such as diabetes, because you can add that into your profile and it will make sure you get the right foods specifically for you. It is the easiest way to eat healthy and buy the right foods.

Is there a fitness app you love that was left off of our list?  Let us know about it in the comment box below!

Photo Credits:

iTunes Store. 

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.