5 Videos to Watch This Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Many artists have blessed us with some powerful songs about the black experience in America within the past few years. We can definitely jam out to their music year-round, but since Black History Month is approaching, let’s show extra appreciation for their artistic genius in creating a deep conversation about race and identity. 

Not only do they sing and/or rap about fighting against racism and discrimination, but they find a way to eloquently intersect that with other important subject matters like feminism and classism. They dive deep into exploring these hot-button issues, but they do so with both realism and optimism. As a black woman, I see these songs and music videos as beacons of hope and change. I see them as mnemonic reminders that I should love my skin, my hair, my culture, my everything. 

So, while we’re celebrating the bold, heroic black activists who paved the way for many of us decades ago, let’s also celebrate the new-age trailblazers who are spearheading a modern-day social movement.

Janelle Monae (feat. Erykah Badu), “Q. U. E. E. N.”

Favorite lyric(s): March to the streets ’cause I’m willing and I’m able / Categorize me, I defy every label / And while you’re selling dope, we’re gonna keep selling hope / We rising up now, you gotta deal you gotta cope / Will you be electric sheep? / Electric ladies, will you sleep? / Or will you preach?

Kendrick Lamar, “Alright”

Favorite lyric(s): Hard times like yah / Bad trips like “God!” / Nazareth, I’m f***** up / Homie you f***** up / But if God got us, then we gon’ be alright.

Common and John Legend, “Glory”

Favorite lyric(s): That’s why Rosa sat on the bus / That’s why we walk through Ferguson with our hands up / When it go down we woman and man up / They say, “Stay down”, and we stand up / Shots, we on the ground, the camera panned up / King pointed to the mountain top and we ran up.

Solange, “Don’t Touch My Hair”

Favorite lyric(s): Don’t touch my hair / When it’s the feelings I wear / Don’t touch my soul / When it’s the rhythm I know / Don’t touch my crown / They say the vision I’ve found / Don’t touch what’s there / When it’s the feelings I wear.

Beyoncé, “Formation”

Favorite lyric(s): I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros / I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils / Earned all this money but they never take the country out me / I got a hot sauce in my bag, swag.

My name is Brea Cubit and I'm a junior at the University of Missouri, majoring in journalism with an emphasis in magazine editing, and minoring in textile and apparel management to pursue a career in fashion journalism. When I'm not obsessing over Zendaya, Beyoncé and Cara Delevingne (and telling people random facts about them that the average person doesn’t care to know), I spend my time reading fashion magazines and blogs, creating mood boards, becoming one with my Canon camera, and drinking chai tea.
HC Contributer Mizzou