Style > Fashion

5 Unique Dresses for Your Next Black-Tie Event

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

April showers bring May flowers, as well as the hectic rush that is formal and prom season. If you’re too busy to dress shop in person or just looking for something a little more unique, look no further. Here are five unique formal dresses you can have conveniently shipped to your house or dorm.

1. So Juicy by Katie May on Revolve 

If you idolized Regina George and Elle Woods as a child, you’ll love this hot pink gown on Revolve. It’s form-fitting with a cowl neck and a slit on one side. This gown has a mature, refined silhouette while still offering a unique pop of color that will stand out on any formal occasion.

2. Giovanna Gown by Dress the Population on Rent the Runway

If you’re ballin’ on a budget this formal season, Rent the Runway is a great option. This multicolored, sequined gown is available for a four-day rental starting at just $37 or can be purchased for a little over $300. Plus, every rental comes with a free backup size just in case.

3. Pryce Off-The-Shoulder Column Dress by Anthropologie 

Silk drape gowns are nothing new, but this beautiful silk dress by Anthropologie offers a unique fit and high neckline that make it stand out. This dress is available online in several different colors, including trendy sage green and millennial pink. This is also a great option if you’re interested in a more modest gown, or if your event is being held in a colder climate.

4. Luna Maxi Dress by For Love & Lemons

For Love & Lemons is the next big brand, so this sheer floral gown is sure to make you the designated “it girl” at your formal event. Plus, who wouldn’t want to look like an ethereal garden fairy? Be sure to check your event’s dress code before ordering, as this dress is revealing.

5. Moment for Life Halter Jumpsuit by Lulus

If you’re trying to stay on budget and are open to a less conventional look, this high neck jumpsuit is flattering and unique. Offered in three less common colors, this jumpsuit is a bold, comfortable statement. Plus, no one will trip you as you tear up the dance floor.

Whether it’s your first high school prom, your last sorority formal or your fifth black-tie wedding this year, try not to put too much pressure on yourself to find the perfect dress. Stay on budget, and focus on bringing out the qualities you love about yourself rather than hiding your insecurities. And most importantly, have fun!

Anna Sago

Mizzou '25

Hi, I'm Anna :). I'm a sophomore at Mizzou originally from Northeast TN. I'm a journalism major with minors in information tech and art history. I love to write about music, movies and fashion. In my spare time, I like to run and hang out with my cats!