5 Things I Loved About The Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

For one fabulous night, Hollywood’s best and brightest come together for the ultimate awards ceremony, The Oscars! It’s my annual dream come true. And this year the show was anything but a letdown; from witty and slightly inappropriate jokes from host Seth MacFarlene to the spectacular performances, the Oscars didn’t disappoint. I found myself cheering for well-deserved winners like Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway and shedding tears for Jennifer Hudson’s rendition of “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going”. Here’s more about what I loved best about the show:

1. The Breathtaking Gowns

The biggest night in Hollywood of course implies the biggest night for fashion, and as always it was rightfully delivered. I audibly gasped when I saw Naomi Watts strut down the red carpet in this Armani Prive sequins creation and I immediately dubbed her the best dressed of the evening. Runner-ups included Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence in Dior. 

2. Seth MacFarlane’s opening act

It was a no-brainer that the ceremony’s host for this year would get people talking, he is the mind behind Family Guy after all. Seth MacFarlene’s opening act may have been borderline inappropriate (i.e. that stirring musicalnumber “We Saw Your Boobs”), but overall it was unique and fun, something the Oscars need every now and then. Seeing Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt show off their dancing skills wasn’t too bad either!

3. The entertaining performances

During the show, three musicals turned into movies were recognized for their original songs that have kept us entertained and humming to ourselves for years. Catherine Zeta-Jones revisited her character Velma from Chicago in a rendition of “All That Jazz,” followed by a mind-blowing solo from Jennifer Hudson who belted out all the right notes of “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dream Girls. Closing the performance was the incredibly talented cast of Les Miserables singing a variation of songs from there film. It just goes to show how undeniably adept these people are across the board.

4. Jennifer Lawrence tripping up the stairs

Blame the gown! That’s what I said after I saw the Oscar-winner gracefully trip before accepting her monumental award. She rightfully laughed it off when the crowd gave her a standing ovation, claiming “you guys are just standing up because I fell and you feel bad!” Only you could pull that off, J. Law. You just became every awkward teenage girl’s idol.

5. Ben Affleck’s tear-jerking speech.

Even though the Argo director was snubbed in the directing category, he managed to defy Oscar odds (as very few pictures have won without their director being nominated) and take home the biggest prize of the night. His acceptance speech was everything it should have been; he thanked the many people who helped him make the film, the team behind the real hostage crisis, and of course his beautiful wife, Jennifer Garner who teared up. He movingly claimed “it doesn’t matter how you get knocked down in life, because that’s going to happen. All that matters is that you gotta get up.” He closed his speech by dedicating his award to his three children before choking up. *swoon*

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.