5 Summer Beach Books You’ll Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With classes finally behind us, more reading might be the last thing you want to do. But what’s a day at the beach without a juicy page-turner? Whether you’re looking for something emotional, sophisticated, adventurous or romantic, there’s a beach read for everybody. Here are some of our top picks for 2013!

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Grab your to-go pack of tissues for this one. Immensely funny, charming and heartbreaking, I couldn’t put this book down after just reading the first page. Trust me, this is not just another cancer novel. Our protagonist Hazel is sarcastic and lovable and her dashing Augustus is suave and hilarious. They’re both suffering from cancer, but that doesn’t stop the two from falling in love and setting off on an amazing adventure together. I’m trying not to spoil it for you, but you will cry even though you will love it. I was full on ugly sobbing when it was over yet still told everyone I knew that they absolutely had to read it. Green never fails to make me laugh, cry and swoon within pages of each other, and this book is now one of my all-time favorites. With a movie adaptation in the works, you’ll want to snatch this one up quick!

2. The Selection by Kiera Cass

Think of this one as The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor. In Cass’s novel the United States has transformed into a monarchy with a cutthroat competition for selected young girls. The prize? Marriage to a prince. In this case that’s Prince Maxon, handsome and charming yet a bit shy and unsure. America Singer is part of one of the lower castes but is still selected for the competition. Despite her reservations about royalty, she accepts the offer (mostly to escape a really messy breakup with rugged and loving Aspen), launching herself into one of the most competitive contests ever. She faces dire enemies, false alliances, heartbreak, betrayal and reluctant love, all while being at the center of an oh-so-juicy love triangle and major political rebellion. With the highly anticipated sequel The Elite recently released, this novel is sure to be a big hit this summer. A perfect read for those of us who can only dream about becoming a princess.

3. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

So maybe you want something a little more intellectual, or you’re upset that you finished The Great Gatsby and are looking for something to fill the void. Rules of Civility follows a year in the life of Katey Kontent in 1930′s New York City. The novel opens with middle-aged Katey admiring an exhibit of candid portraits taken on the NYC subway. Upon recognizing a Mr. Tinker Grey in the photographs, her mind flashes back to the year 1938. Her memories open with Katey and best frenemy Eve Ross celebrating New Year’s, where a chance meeting with dashing and wealthy Tinker changes everything. The ensuing year fluctuates between heartbreak, triumph, downfall and victory all while providing riveting and complex characters sure to leave a lasting impression. This book is a bit on the heavy side for a beach read, but it’s definitely not one to miss.

4. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

What better topic for a beach read than mermaids? Well, actually they prefer to be called “Syrena,” but that’s beside the point. Emma is a teenage girl with a huge secret that she doesn’t even know about, and Prince Galen of the Syrena is just the one to tell her. If you were a fan of the Disney Channel movie The Thirteenth Year or the classic The Little Mermaid, you’ll love this novel. The romance is adorable and complex and will leave you swooning, and the characters are endearing and hysterical. The sequel Of Triton is coming out May 28 so getting reading on this one! Trust me, the mega cliffhanger at the end will definitely make you race out for the second installment. Keep an eye on the waves while you’re reading this one; you never know what’s out there.

5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

If you haven’t read this one already, you are seriously behind on the craze! The Hunger Games is huge right now and you don’t want to be out of the loop, especially with the release of the second movie this fall. In this installment our heroine Katniss deals with life after the games, which includes political crises, the price of fame and – spoiler! – a second round of the games. Equally as enthralling and mesmerizing, you won’t be able to put it down.

Happy reading, collegiettes!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.