5 Study Break Movies Out Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s safe to say that it’s the time in the semester when most Mizzou collegiettes are counting down the days until Dec. 14th: the start of their month-long winter break. That means no more classes, tests, papers, or frustrating roommates to worry about for weeks! In between your early Christmas shopping and finals cramming, you may need to find time for some R&R in order to maintain your sanity… and seeing a movie is just the ticket! Not sure what to see? Here are five suggestions for must-see study break movies!

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Our favorite supernatural couple is back! In this final installment of the beloved franchise, Edward and his new vampire wife, Bella, welcome their hybrid daughter into the ever-growing Cullen clan. But, since this is Twilight, some dark and mysterious villain is aiming to endanger the family as they battle the enraged Volturi. At least they have help from a few friends (and werewolves). And hey, maybe Kristen Stewart finally fixed that whole awkward, no emotion thing! But probably not. Don’t deny it; you’re curious to see how this exciting franchise will end. Make this movie your guilty pre-finals pleasure.

2. Skyfall

Another addition to an established franchise that’s still out in theaters is Skyfall, the newest installment in the invigorated James Bond series starring Daniel Craig. This time, the man of mystery must help his loyal friend and boss, M, when threats against her turn serious. What’s cool about this newest flick is that Javier Bardem plays the villain; I mean what a makeover! He looks even creepier (if that’s possible). And who doesn’t want to drool over Daniel Craig in a perfectly tailored suit for two hours? This movie is action-packed and full of twists, so don’t forget to buy popcorn! Munching on it will help suppress that suspense.

3. Silver Linings Playbook

If you’re looking for a good dramedy, then we highly suggest Silver Linings Playbook. Bradley Cooper stars as Pat, a former teacher who moves back in with his parents after a stint in a mental institution. While trying to reconcile with his ex-wife, things get complicated when he meets the mysterious Tiffany, played by The Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence. This movie has a dynamite cast (Robert De Niro and Julia Stiles also appear in the film). Although it deals with the dark topic of mental unstableness, it still implements plenty of humor. And who can resist Bradley Cooper? That’s what we thought, so go see it!

4. Wreck-It Ralph

Maybe you’re looking for a more light-hearted, animated movie to enjoy. If so, we recommend Wreck-It Ralph, which centers on a video game villain who sets out to fulfill his dream of becoming a hero. But the journey proves difficult as his quest brings chaos into the arcade where he lives. If you’re like us, then you can’t resist a goofy animated movie with adorable characters (Despicable Me, anyone?). Plus, you might recognize many of the celebrities who provide the narration for the characters, including John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Mindy Kaling and Jane Lynch.

5. Argo

If you want to get a head start on your predictions for next year’s Oscars, then we strongly suggest seeing Argo. Ben Affleck stars in and directs this dramatization of a 1980 secret operation to free six American hostages from Iran. So far, the film has received nothing but good reviews from the top critics. Plus, we know Affleck is great at directing after his bank robbery thriller The Town. So if you want to get into a thought-provoking mindset, we suggest this fantastic drama that you’ll definitely hear of again during Oscar season. To reference Mean Girls, “Four for you Ben Affleck, you go Ben Affleck! And none for Matt Damon, bye.”

Have you caught any of these movies out in theaters so far?  Give us your review in the comment box below! 

Photo Credits

http://content.usatoday.com/co…

http://www.007.com/new-skyfall…

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/…

http://www.thedailybeast.com/a…

http://www.eonline.com/news/35…

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.