The 5-Minute Grammy Style Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The 55th Grammy awards aired on Sunday evening. If you didn’t sit though the more than 3-hour-long affair, you can thank me because I did. We all know the only reason to watch award shows is to talk about who wore what. I’m giving you the quick guide to the biggest fashion hits, misses, and what everyone will be talking about.

The Good:

Rihanna wins for best dressed at this year’s Grammys. The dress was a custom Alaïa gown. Her semi-sheer, sexy red ensamble was something that only Rihanna could pull off.  (Photo: Jim Smeal/BEImages)

Kelly Rowland’s dress presented the perfect paradox of being risqué and elegant. The Destiny’s Child’s gown had lazer sharp transparent lines that mazed over her body, but keeping everywhere that should be covered, covered. (Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage)

The Bad:

Kimbra, featured in Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know”, had us confused. A sheer dress decorated in gold embellishments that was a stretch on CBS’s dresscode had blue tulle sort of randomly sewn onto it. I don’t know what else to say about this garment besides that it was just plain ugly.  (Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA)

Florence Welch’s hair was a simple and beautiful princess-looking loose bun. She didn’t stop her renaissance theme there (where she should have). Her dress was a green, scaly, dragon costume. The flowy emerald bottom showed that the dress could have had so much potential. There is usually nothing better than a red-head in emerald, but Florence proved that theory wrong. (Photo: Jim Smeal/BEImages)

The Attention Getters:

Carrie Underwood looked beautiful upon her arrival to the Grammy’s, but let’s step off the red carpet for a minute. During her performance of  her hits “Blown Away” and “Two Black Cadillacs,” the audience and us at home were shocked to see Carrie’s gown become a part of the show. Her simple ivory ballgown began to glow with images of flowers, butterflies and stars. Were there LED lights in her dress? No. Underwood said the images were projected onto her gown to create its own attention-getting performance. (Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Getty)

Katy Perry looked gorgeous as usual, in a what she called “Pricilla Presley inspired” dress with an ornate floral neckline. Her voluminous hair went along with her inspiration. What caught people’s attention most about this dress is how much it exposed Katy’s…assets. (Photo by Ellen DeGeneres)

Which Grammys look was your favorite?  Did you have one that didn’t make the list?  Tell us about it in the comment box below!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.