This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Looking for an empowering read this holiday season that helps you fall back in love with yourself? Do you want to learn more about your body and more about the taboo topics surrounding sexual health that are rarely addressed? If you’re struggling to find a good book to cozy up with by the fireplace with a cup of cocoa, this is just the solution. Whether you identify as a man, woman, nonbinary or genderfluid, these five books are sure to keep you interested and educated about the female body, feminism and how to empower yourself. 

Woman: An Intimate Geography by Natalie Angier 

If you’re into science and anatomy, this book is for you. Natalie Angier dives deep into the complicated organism that is the female body and provides scientific annotations to educate the reader while still keeping the story interesting. From the cervix to the uterus, Angier beautifully tells the story of the female body, glorifying the masterpiece it is capable of in this wonderful book. It is available on Amazon for under $10 and has Prime shipping.

Girls and Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape by Peggy Orenstein

In her bestselling book, Peggy Orenstein illustrates the challanges women face as they grow out of puberty and into womanhood. She interviewed women around the nation from both high schools and colleges about their sexual experiences and their issues surrounding feminism, compiling them together to create an informative novel that is not biased, but rather gives readers all the information they need to draw their own conclusions about many different taboo subjects. She also provides advice from doctors, educators and speakers about different ways to negotiate this difficult new modern era of womanhood. If you want to gain even more perspective, take a look at her other recently published book, “Boys and Sex,” that goes into the many taboo subjects among the male species. “Girls and Sex” is also available for purchase on Amazon

Love Your Lady Landscape by Lisa Lister

If you are looking for a really empowering book that will make you fall back in love with your body, look no further. “Love Your Lady Landscape” tackles feminine insecurity and provides positive affirmations to help reclaim your SHE power. Lister combines different exercises – both mental and physical – as well as spiritual teachings to help women heal their relationship with themselves and learn to love who they are again. While it is less of an educational read and more of a spiritual one, readers will still learn plenty about themselves after reading this book. “Love Your Lady Landscape” is available on Amazon

Badass Affirmations by Becca Anderson

If you just want to feel your best and feel proud to be you, this book provides affirmations and quotes to help you feel like a true badass. Becca Anderson seeks to help readers learn the habit of affirming themselves daily, take control of their destiny, and strengthen their self-esteem. A quick read every morning, but one that will certainly put you on the path to your success! Becca Anderson’s book is available on Amazon

Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World by Ann Shen

Looking for coffee table books that do more than look great on your table? Ann Shen tells the story of women who were bad by challenging the status quo and changing the rules for future women. The book features well known names like Rosa Parks, Marie Curie and Eleanor Roosevelt, as well as some unknown women like Wu Zetian, the only empress to ever rule China. To educate and empower yourself, this is a must-read. You can find Ann Shen’s book on Amazon

Now that you have definitely purchased all of these books with rush shipping, go out and empower others with your newfound knowledge!

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.
HC Contributer Mizzou