This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Because pride month is just around the corner (it always takes me by surprise), I decided to compile some of my favorite LGBTQ YA reads that are sweet, wonderful, and angsty (but happy ends abound). Check them out below! 

Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by MacKenzi Lee

Monty, an 18th century bisexual british lord, goes on a romp across Europe with his annoying little sister and his devastatingly handsome best friend, Percy. There are pirates involved. 

Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by MacKenzi Lee

This is the hilarious sequel to “Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue”, centered on Monty’s younger sister. She’s asexual and hilarious. Plus: almost all the characters from the first book are in this one, so it’s also a continuation of Monty and Percy’s story. 

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren 

I just recently read this, and I can’t get it out of my mind. It’s a wonderful and tender book from the point of view of Tanner, a high school senior who also happens to be Jewish and bisexual in Provo, Utah, where 90% of the population is Mormon. His parents are extremely supportive, and they want him to get out of this town and go live his best life at a liberal college in a liberal city. So, of course, he falls in love with the bishop’s closeted son during his last semester. 

Carry on by Rainbow Rowell 

I’ve heard it described as Harry Potter if #drarry were canon, and though that’s technically true, it’s also so much more than that. Simon Snow is the Chosen One at Watford, a magical school in England, and his archenemy also happens to be his roommate. You figure it out. 

Aristotle and Dante Discovere the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

This is one of the most tender and magnificent books I’ve ever read. It charts the love story of Aristotle and Dante, two latin-americas teen boys growing up during the 1980’s. It’s lifechanging. 

Happy reading, folx! 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!