4 Reasons Why The Drunk Text Isn’t So Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You’re leaving the bar after a night out with the girls, and after a “couple” of shots you reach for your phone and surprise, surprise the only text you have is from your mother asking how you’ve managed to spend so much money in the course of one week.

In your drunken state you decide to text the guy. This boy could be a variety of things: the ex-boyfriend, the really good guy friend or the guy you hooked up with that one time. Either way, you usually wake up feeling embarrassed, regretful and hungover. All of these emotions are very understandable, but here are a four reasons why the god forbidden “drunk text” isn’t actually all that bad.

1. For starters, when you drunk text someone, chances are they feel flattered or at least they should be. Think about it: You’re as drunk as a sailor and your first instinct is to text Jake from your English class. Unless this text is calling him out on slacking in the group project, then Jake should feel pretty good about himself the next day. 

2. Secondly, we have ALL been there at one point or another. If a person drinks and owns a mobile device, pen and paper or carrier pigeon they have definitely sent a drunk text before, and every once in a while it’s nice to know that we are all college students in the same drunken boat. 

3. Communicating while drunk is the most honest you will ever be. If you’re awkward, like myself, and have trouble communicating with the human species then the drunk text is probably the only time you’ll be honest with whoever is on the receiving end of that message, which is scary but also rewarding.

4. Lastly, while rare, good things can come from the drunken text. Sure you may regret it initially; but you’ll get over it, he’ll get over it and ultimately life goes on. And, who knows, down the line you and fictional Jake could have a good laugh about you and your drunken shenanigans.

Or not. 

HC Contributer Mizzou