22 Women-Directed Films to Watch in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The new year offers a perfect opportunity to start a new watchlist. You might not think much about the people behind the camera when watching a movie, but they make the magic happen. Here are 22 films directed by women to diversify and amp up your 2022 viewing plans.

13th (2016)

Directed by Ava DuVernay

13th, referencing the Thirteenth Amendment, explores the history of racial inequality in America and its modern consequences. Filmmaker DuVernay argues the government wields the prison system against African Americans. Follow the country’s tragic timeline from the Antebellum Era to today with historians, inmates and cutting-edge thinkers like Angela Davis, Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Dolores Canales.

Lady Bird (2017)

Directed by Greta Gerwig

Gerwig presented a genius character study with her smash-hit, Lady Bird. Starring Saoirse Ronan, the film follows the lead’s coming-of-age. Her Catholic mother, Marion, works tirelessly as a nurse to support the family and Christine, our protagonist, is ready to make her life more complicated. Strong-willed, opinionated and loving, Christine has to figure out who she is and who she wants to be.

Clueless (1995)

Directed by Amy Heckerling

Clueless not making the top 22 female-directed movies? As if! This ’90s feel-good film follows Cher through her dazzling and carefree life. Based on Jane Austen’s Emma, Heckerling gives a modern makeover to the 200-year-old plot.

Candyman (2021)

Directed by Nia DaCosta

The classic Candyman, AKA Tony Todd, is a knife-wielding urban legend that strikes the fear of God into everyone on the Northside. Helene, a graduate student studying local myths, decides to make him the focus of her thesis. But, it turns out this mysterious man is a little more real than expected. Candyman symbolically picks apart every way Black people are disenfranchised and makes for a great horror film.  

To All The Boys I Loved Before (2018)

Directed by Susan Johnson

High school can be hell. Lara Jean finds her own personal hell when her little sister gives out her secret love letters to every boy she’s loved before. But maybe it isn’t such a bad thing…

Unpregnant (2020)

Directed by Rachel Lee Goldenberg

Unpregnant might hit closer to home for Missouri students. This political film follows a dynamic duo as they navigate the Midwest in search of an abortion clinic. The comedy-drama takes viewers from Mid-Missouri to New Mexico and depicts the dark reality of the battle over reproductive rights.

Wonder Woman (2017)

Directed by Patty Jenkins

Wonder Woman and her golden lasso crashed onto the big screen in 2017. Now is a perfect time to catch up on the movies before the third installment comes out later this year. Jenkins takes the world on the journey of Diana Prince’s picture-imperfect life, through bloody battles and high-stake heists. 

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

Directed by Céline Sciamma

Marianne, a painter, is commissioned for a wedding portrait. However, Héloïse is a reluctant bride-to-be and Marianne must paint her without her knowing. She observes her day by day, to paint her secretly. And a beautiful, tragic romance blossoms between the two women.

Raw (2016)

Directed by Julia Ducournau

Justine, a dedicated vegetarian, gains admittance to one of France’s most prestigious veterinarian schools, but she’s not all that prepared for the hazing. Ducournau creates a world where morals are suspended and shows how family ties can always come back to haunt you. 

LEMONADE (2016)

Directed by Beyoncé Knowles

“So what are you gonna say at my funeral, now that you’ve killed me? Here lies the body of the love of my life, whose heart I broke without a gun to my head.” 

Beyoncé’s gut-wrenching and empowering 2016 visual album focuses on the fallout after her husband cheated on her. She tackles racial inequality, feminism and infidelity with her trusty bat and flowing dresses. 

Frozen (2013)

Directed by Jennifer Lee

Queen Elsa ran from her kingdom after her icy powers seemed to be acting on their own. Now, her sister, Princess Anna, has made it her mission to bring her sister back and to restore Arendelle. Ever-optimistic, Anna is ready to have this accomplished in a week, but things aren’t as easy as they seem. 

Little Women (2019)

Directed by Greta Gerwig

Little Women has a cast packed with A-list actors and does not disappoint. Louisa May Alcott’s heartfelt coming-of-age story about four sisters once again tugged on America’s heartstrings in 2019. And we get to see Timothée Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan together on the big screen again. 

Jennifer’s Body (2009)

Directed by Karyn Kusama

Jennifer’s Body, starring Megan Fox, became a cult favorite quickly after its release in 2009. A prom queen who eats disrespectful boys for breakfast…literally? Sign us up.

Eternals (2021)

Directed by Chloé Zhao

The Marvel franchise took over the world with The Avengers. After the release of Avengers: Endgame, Marvel still isn’t done with their stories. One of the first films in Phase II, “Eternals” follows an entirely new set of characters living in a post-Thanos world and grappling with their purpose on Earth. 

Booksmart (2019)

Directed by Olivia Wilde

College. The biggest decision a high school senior has to make. It’s that time for Amy and Molly. These two girls have done it all…academically. But it’s time they have some fun and leave high school with a bang. 

Persepolis (2007)

Directed by Marjane Satrapi

Persepolis is based on Satrapi’s autobiographical graphic novel. It tells her story as she grows up in Iran and Austria during and after the Iranian Revolution, also known as the Islamic Revolution. Her dark, funny and unique perspective lets outsiders understand just how hard of a blow the revolution dealt to the Middle East.

American Psycho (2000)

Directed by Mary Harron

The blood-curdling classic, American Psycho, comments on the sexual insecurity of men and dives into the mind of a psychopath. Materialism and shallow-ness plague our main character, Patrick Bateman, who hides his disturbing alter-ego from his family, friends and co-workers.

Emma (2020)

Directed by Autumn de Wilde

Socialite Emma Woodhouse doesn’t know how to mind her business. This matchmaker won’t rest until she carries out her friends’ wild, romantic fantasies. Little does she know there might be some romance in store for her as well…

The Half Of It (2020)

Directed by Alice Wu

Straight-A, awkward Ellie Chu teams up with the resident hot-shot jock to help him woo a girl. But, unfortunately, Ellie finds herself catching feelings for the subject of this jock’s affections. In “The Half of It,” viewers can relive their first love and embrace their own insecurities with Ellie. 

Promising Young Woman (2020)

Content warning: Contains sexual violence.

Directed by Emerald Fennell

Promising Young Woman stars our main character, Cassie, who’s ready to right some wrongs. Whip-smart and blood-thirsty, this rape revenge story is a commentary on the protected “promising young man” that could have his career tarnished by a sexual assault allegation. 

The Hurt Locker (2008)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow

The Hurt Locker follows an explosive ordinance disposal (EOD) unit after the death of their sergeant. Stuck with a new leader, played by Jeremy Renner, there are some changes about to be made. This high stakes war-drama makes for an explosive film. 

Winter’s Bone (2010)

Directed by Debra Granik

Before she played Katniss, Jennifer Lawrence won hearts playing Ree. A brave, driven young woman navigates the local underground crime scene looking for her father before it’s too late. He put their home up for grabs to pay off his debts and if Ree doesn’t fix things her family might fall apart. 

Emma Lingo is the senior editor at Her Campus’s University of Missouri chapter. She oversees the entertainment and culture verticals on the site, including television, movies, and book coverage. Beyond Her Campus, Emma works as a freelance writer. Her bylines have appeared in The List, The Missourian, Vox Magazine, Shifter Magazine and more. She will graduate with a major in journalism in Summer 2023 with an emphasis on reporting and writing. In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, journaling, and hanging out with her cat Tuna. She’s a certified Swiftie who has a major bone to pick with John Mayer and is always down to go from a drive and blast music.