This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It is bittersweet for me to see my teenage years officially come to an end. In light of this milestone, here are 20 things I’ve learned so far. 

1. Perfection is overrated, unnatural and absolutely impossible. Don’t bother striving for it.
  2. At the heart of it all, all anyone ever wants is love and acceptance. 

3. Stay in your lane (seriously).  

4. Be the change you want to see in the world before you expect it of others.

5. If something feels off, it is off. 

6. Forgiveness is more for the forgiver, because there’s freedom in forgiveness. 

7. Be sensitive to other people, but not yourself (because, hello, it’s not fun to be offended by every little thing!)

8. Health will never be overrated. 

9. Don’t give someone a broom to hit you with later. Meaning, be strategic with what you share and who you’re vulnerable with. 

10. It’s okay to be alone, but don’t give into the toxic temptations of loneliness.

11. Strive for excellence, even in the small things.

12. Be willing to consider someone’s intentions or their side of a story before you react. 

13. Keep it real, but keep it to yourself if it’s too real. 

14. Even though it may feel like it, it’s actually not the end of the world. Don’t get stuck.

15. Conformity is easy and comfortable, but individuality is powerful.

16. Be teachable. 

17. Find joy in every little thing. 

18. Respect yourself enough to hang around people that bring out the best in you.

19. You can’t expect anything good to happen in your life if you have a bad attitude or perspective toward life.

20. No one will ever have your back the way you will.

Just another STL native studying Journalism at Mizzou. Lover of music, books, fashion, and pasta.
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.