13 Mini Scary Stories For Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In the spirit of Halloween, here are some spooky and creepy short stories to get you in the mood for the holiday. 

1. I woke up to hear knocking on glass. At first, I thought it was the window, until I heard it come from the mirror again. ( – SlightlyWarped)

2. I begin tucking him into bed and he tells me, “Daddy, check for monsters under my bed.” I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, “Daddy, there’s somebody on my bed.” ( – AskReddit)

3. You get home, tired after a long day’s work and ready for a relaxing night alone. You reach for the light switch, but another hand is already there. ( – Viralnova)

4. My daughter won’t stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night. I visit her grave and ask her to stop, but it doesn’t help. ( – Viralnova)

5. My wife woke me up last night to tell me there was an intruder in our house. She was murdered by an intruder two years ago. ( – Viralnova)

6. The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door. ( – Frederic Brown)

7. “I can’t sleep,” she whispered, crawling into bed with me. I woke up cold, clutching the dress she was buried in. ( – Viralnova)

8. I always thought my cat had a staring problem, she always seemed fixated on my face. Until one day, when I realized that she was always looking just behind me. ( – SlightlyWarped)

9. The last thing I saw was my alarm clock flashing 12:07 before she pushed her long rotting nails through my chest, her other hand muffling my screams. I sat bolt upright, relieved it was only a dream, but as I saw my alarm clock read 12:06, I heard my closet door creak open. ( –SlightlyWarped)

10. Growing up with cats and dogs, I got used to the sounds of scratching at my door while I slept. Now that I live alone, it is much more unsettling. (—SlightlyWarped)

11. There’s nothing like the laughter of a baby. Unless it’s 1 a.m. and you’re home alone. ( – SlightlyWarped)

12. I enter the empty elevator and push the button for my floor. As the doors close I feel a hand cover my mouth. ( – Kim Z Dale, ChicagoNow)

13. When we bought the house, I assumed the scratches on the inside of the basement door were from a dog, but the neighbors say the previous owner didn’t have one. This morning, the scratches had multiplied. ( – Kim Z Dale, ChicagoNow) 

And remember, don’t be scared of the monsters, just look for them. Look to your left, to your right, under your bed, behind your dresser and in your closet. But never look up, they hate being seen. Happy Halloween! 

During my time with HerCampus, I was a Senior at Mizzou, originally from the Chicagoland area. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphases in Journalism, Film Studies, and Art, and I have a certificate in Multicultural Studies. I am now pursuing an MBA at another university. I like movies, sushi, photography, and Chipotle.   deenakahn.com
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.