10 Ways To Beat The Missouri Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The carefree summer months may be over, but the heat that comes with it is still raging on. Makeup runs, frizzy hair, unbearable sweating – walking to class is a daily warzone against beauty and outfit mistakes. To win the war against the sweltering days that continue to vamp up the thermostats, here are our top 10 ways to beat the heat.

10. Stick to the matte

Foundations like L’Oreal Truematch Lumi and Nars Sheer Glow are great options when fall and winter chills dry out the skin. But when the “natural glow” that these foundations promise is in fact natural, long-wear, matte foundations are your best bet to avoid an oily complexion and unsightly makeup runs. Look for foundations that advertise “long wear coverage” and “oil free,” such as Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin or Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation. Top it off with a mattifying setting powder, like Rimmel Stay Matte, and you are ready for a day in the Missouri humidity.

9. Prepare for waterworks

As simple as it seems, wearing waterproof mascara is a foolproof way to ensure that raccoon eyes are a thing of the past. The hassle to get the stubborn black gunk off, however, may be what keeps the smudging mascara trend living. Instead of smeared mascara or mascara that is downright impossible to remove, get both the easy to take off and waterproof qualities by applying one coat of regular mascara, followed by one coat of waterproof. The waterproof mascara acts as a barrier to any liquids, including sweat, that might come in contact with your eyes, while the non-waterproof mascara allows the eyelashes to be completely clean with one makeup wipe instead of 20.

8. Dry off your hair without plugging in the blow dryer

Dry shampoo is an oily scalp’s best friend during the hot, humid days of late August and early September. Instead of rewashing hair everyday, stripping it of the natural oils needed for repair and shine, spray dry shampoo into the roots of the hair both at the top and near the nape of your neck to absorb sweat-based oils and keep your hair fresh and smelling fabulous, without the harshness that most shampoos bring. If your hair tends to get oily often, bring a mini bottle of dry shampoo in your backpack to do quick touch-ups in between classes.

7. Protection to the max

Frizzy hair is no laughing matter in the humid climate of Columbia. To prevent unsightly triangle-hair syndrome, use maximum strength hairsprays with anti-humidity properties to secure any and all hairstyles. Down, up, messy bun – you name it. Hairspray will help lock the moisture into each strand of hair and will keep the hair from becoming a frizzy mess throughout the day. To avoid crunchy hair, spray the hairspray directly onto hands and work through the hair with fingers to keep the protection. If your hair still frizzes during the day, slightly wet fingers and run them through your strands. Even though there is moisture in the air, frizzy hair is actually caused by lack of moisture in the strands themselves, so water is an easy fix for on-the-go styling.

6. The crème de la crème

Along with hairspray, frizz cream is another sure-fire way to keep those fly-aways locked down. Products like John Freida Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Styling Cream is an affordable way to keep your luscious locks from becoming frizzy frights. Apply a pea-sized amount to the ends of your hair, working the remainder of the product into the mid-shaft and downward until your hair is moisturized and ready to be subjected to heat advisories. If you have very thin hair, this is a great alternative to spraying hairspray over extremely wispy strands. Although the cream will combat frizz, make sure you still apply hairspray so that it will last all day.

5. Blot that spot

Oil blotting sheets are found on most drugstore shelves. They also happen to be your new pocket-sized best friends. The blue sheets turn clear as the oil from your face is absorbed – a transition that is both disgusting and oddly satisfying. The best part? The oil absorbing properties will help any powder touch-ups from looking cakey and can eliminate the need for multiple powder applications altogether. This will help to save trips to the store for more blotting powder and prevent acne caused by trapping the oil and sweat beneath a layer of filmy makeup.

4. Anti-age before you’ve aged

The most basic beauty tip out there: protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun. Since the heat of the summer is usually from that fiery ball in the sky, it is of the upmost importance to wear lip balm and sunscreen with SPF protection. If the smell of sunscreen keeps you from wearing it, try looking for lotions and foundations that have SPF in them. That way you are staying beautiful and confident, while protecting your skin from premature aging.

3. Go with the flow

Although they may seem comfortable and the ultimate casual clothing item, athletic t-shirts are usually made of cotton and polyester – two fabrics that trap the heat inside and barely let any flow of air through the shirt. A more fashion forward (and comfortable) approach is to wear shirts that are made out of chiffon. This lightweight fabric is breezy and doesn’t stick to your skin like a sweat-soaked t-shirt. It also looks cute with skirts, shorts, or as a dress. You’ll look, and feel, cool.

2. When in doubt, spritz it out

Bringing a mini bottle of deodorant and your favorite perfume or body splash are two of the easiest and lowest maintenance beauty remedies for a hot day in the humidity. Bath and Body Works, Target and even Wal-Mart are great places to find small versions of your signature scents and hard-working underarm protection. Swipe some deodorant on and do a couple of spritzes of perfume or body spray, and you are smelling fresh at any time of the day. It will boost your confidence, and make that embarrassing B.O. a thing of the past.

1. Confidence is key!

The No. 1 way to beat the heat is self-confidence! If you’re hot and sweaty while walking outside, chances are the rest of campus is hot and sweaty too. When the hot sun is beating down on all walks of life, no one is feeling at their best or most attractive. Wear what is comfortable and cool, and don’t feel pressured to wear makeup if you don’t want to. Stay chill and remember: You are beautiful, no matter the temperature outside! 

HC Contributer Mizzou