legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

10 Songs to Add to Your Anti-Valentine’s Day Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Love is in the air with Valentine’s Day, arguably one of the most capitalistic holidays of the year, just around the corner. Many of us feel the pressure to find that perfect date or plan an extravagant outing on February 14th, but don’t worry. Whether “cuffing season” was in your favor this year or not, it’s totally okay to be dancing on your own this V-Day. 

Regardless if you’re in a relationship, single or in a complicated “situationship,” you can add some empowering anti-Valentine’s Day songs to your February playlist. To preface this list, my music taste may be a little bit all over the place, but nevertheless, these are some great songs to blare in your dorm room, car, house or just on your walk to class!

I Forgot That You Existed – Taylor Swift 

A strong start to this list with Ms. Swift. This song is an obvious choice to many, as the title clearly states. It discussed the process of moving on and being happy without thinking of that one pesky ex or person that is weighing on your mind. So whether you’re truly over them, or you just want to pretend you are, this is the perfect song to add!

Rose’s Turn – (Glee Version) 

To all of you “non-Gleeks” out there, this may be a confusing addition to your playlist, but it is definitely worth the listen! This song is all about wanting a chance in the spotlight and being able to shine without others tearing you down! I highly recommend watching the video performance of this song if you have not heard it already. 

You Don’t Own Me – Lesley Gore

This song is often forgotten when we think of empowering songs. But it’s perfect for recognizing self-worth and individuality. It also makes an appearance in “Dirty Dancing” which is not only a classic movie but is perfect for a Galentine’s day!

Not a Love Song – Ross Lynch

Okay, now for an important question – Who doesn’t love Ross Lynch? This song, while slightly dated, is actually a really great anti-Valentine’s song about prioritizing friendship over a romantic relationship! Sometimes taking a step back and recognizing you are better as friends are the best things to do!

Firearm – Lizzy McAlpine

I don’t know about you, but my friends and I have been listening to Lizzy McAlpine non-stop. This song in particular is about recognizing the “red flags” too late and realizing you should have done something about it. Overall, it is a great ballad for embracing one’s self-worth and being aware of the treatment you deserve in a relationship!

Kill Bill – SZA

If you do not already have this song on your playlist, what are you doing? SZA’s latest album has some seriously good music, but “Kill Bill” has been arguably getting the most attention. A song all about moving on with a side of revenge; It’s just the right combination for the perfect addition to your playlist. 

Castle – Halsey

This song was recommended to me by a friend and will always be a great listen! One of the lyrics, “already choking on my pride, so there’s no use crying about it,” screams anti-valentines Day. A whole song about being a single queen is the perfect soundtrack for February.

Mirror – Sigrid 

A song centered around loving what you see in the mirror is an immediate confidence booster! Adding this fun song about positive self-talk is such a great reminder to always be conscious of how you treat yourself.

Got Her Own – Ariana Grande 

Wow, independence is crucial when it comes to this song! This underrated Ariana anthem should definitely be a more common listen. It has plenty of themes about not needing anyone but yourself this Valentine’s Day! 

Better Than Revenge – Taylor Swift 

Starting and ending this list with Taylor Swift sounds like the perfect playlist to me! This is one of my favorite songs on the “Speak Now” album to listen to until she re-releases it – hopefully very soon. Overall, it is a very empowering song that is perfect for scream-singing in the car by yourself or with your favorite people!

I hope that you found a couple of songs to add to your playlist or got reminded of some of the great music that would be perfect for your anti-Valentine’s Day mix! Whether you listen to these songs this February or in July, they are a fun way to feel empowered without all of the romantic lyrics you constantly hear on the radio! If you have any other songs you would add to this list, let us know on our HerCampus socials!

hi! i am a class of 2026 mizzou student, and am majoring in journalism and theatre - performance! some of my interests include reading, going to the gym, music (big swiftie), finding new coffee shops, and watching new movies! i joined her campus for a creative outlet to be able to write about topics i am passionate about!