10 non-traditional Christmas songs to spice up your playlist this holiday season

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Christmas is a few weeks away, and everywhere we look there are decorations, sweet scents and the familiar melodies we all grew up to know all too well. Contrary to popular belief, for some listeners, these classic Christmas songs can begin to lose their magic after several years on repeat.

Here are 10 non-traditional Christmas songs to revamp your holiday playlist and spice up your December vibes.

“The b*tch who stole christmas” by Boys World

Boys World – the b*tch who stole christmas (Lyric Video)

By the title, you can already tell that this track is far from a traditional Christmas song that’s been done before. With a catchy pop beat, smooth saxophone melody and satisfying harmonies, Boys World puts their own spin on the holidays.

“Last Christmas” by ASTN

ASTN – Last Christmas (Official Visualizer)

ASTN has made his mark on the internet by turning popular songs into R&B tracks. Preserving George Michael’s original lyrics and production elements, ASTN creates a beat and layers it with his own vocals to turn upbeat pop songs into smooth, mellow tracks that please the ear. The only difference with his Christmas song is that everything is original and made by him. ASTN brings rhythm and blues to the holiday music scene, and we’re left wondering why he didn’t do it sooner.

“Perfect Night (Holiday Remix)” by LE SSERAFIM

LE SSERAFIM (르세라핌) ‘Perfect Night (Holiday Remix)’ Official Visualizer

One of the hottest K-Pop tracks right now has been turned into a Christmas song. LE SSERAFIM has layered jingle bells and other festive productions over their recent release to make your holiday nights just a little more perfect.

“Christmas lights” by Valley

Valley – christmas lights (Official Lyric Video)

This cover by indie-pop band Valley will pull at your heartstrings. Originally by Coldplay, the band sings the melancholic track with a music video expressing how much the holidays have changed since they were young. 

“Christmas Song” by Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers – Christmas Song (Official Audio)

Many fans loved the emotion and sadness put into this song by Phoebe Bridgers. She was applauded for releasing a “sad” Christmas song, as most holiday songs reflect the feeling of happiness, which isn’t felt by everybody during this time of year. 

“Oh Santa!” by Mariah Carey, Ariana Grande, and Jennifer Hudson

Mariah Carey – Oh Santa! (Official Music Video) ft. Ariana Grande, Jennifer Hudson

Everybody knows Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” it’s a December staple. However, if you’re wanting to stick to your roots while switching it up this year, this collab with Ariana Grande and Jennifer Hudson is a great place to start.

“Make It To Christmas” by Alessia Cara

Alessia Cara – Make It To Christmas

This track has elements of many classic Christmas songs while also staying relevant and modern, keeping Cara’s original sound present. The song can be deemed nostalgic in tone and is sure to put a smile on listeners’ faces, being embraced by festive cheer and the feeling you get on Christmas morning each year. 

“True Love” by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande – True Love (Audio)

Ariana Grande has released an abundance of Christmas music during her years as a musician. Some would argue that “Christmas Kisses” contains her best holiday tracks, while others stand by “Christmas & Chill.” Despite the debate, fans seem to come together on this song, as it was a popular part of Grande’s setlist during the second North American leg of the Sweetener/Thank You, Next tour in 2019.

“24 to 25” by Stray Kids

Stray Kids “24 to 25” Video

Featured on their 2021 Christmas extended play titled “Christmas EveL,” Stray Kids put their heart into this harmonious holiday song. “24 to 25” serves as the perfect soundtrack to wrapping presents, baking cookies and decorating the Christmas tree.

“Santa doesn’t know you like i do” by Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter – santa doesn’t know you like i do (Lyric Video)

Carpenter released a holiday EP titled “fruitcake” on November 17, 2023. Fans have been quick to express their love for the pop singer’s take on holiday music, especially following last year’s release of “A Nonsense Christmas,” a festive and fiery take on her hit single “Nonsense,” which has gained over 500 million listens on Spotify.

You can find all of these songs compiled into a playlist here on Spotify. We hope you love these tracks just as much as we do, and we can’t wait to see them make their way onto your festive playlist this year!

a hercampus christmas by Kaihli Mitts on Spotify
Kaihli Mitts is a sophomore at Mizzou studying Journalism and Strategic Communications. She is the TikTok manager for HerCampus at Mizzou, and loves to write articles about music and entertainment. When she's not studying, you can catch her listening to music, scrolling through social media, or making your drink at the campus Starbucks <3