10 Books To Read During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Whether you’ll be lounging by a pool (lucky you) or curled up on the couch, these books are a perfect escape from your textbooks and exams. From romance to thrillers to memoirs, we’ve got you covered with 10 must-reads for this spring break.

1. Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland follows a pair of twin sisters who share nothing in common — besides their psychic ability. As adults, they both end up back in their hometown of St. Louis, Missouri and are forced to face their differences and confront ghosts from their past. Sittenfeld’s spot-on references to St. Louis are sure to keep any St. Louis natives intrigued. Sittenfeld also writes in a way that makes you want to meet (and get coffee with) twins Kate and Violet. The book will make you laugh, and more importantly, will make you think long after you finish the last page.

2. Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Girl Tells You What She’s “Learned” by Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham is the star and creator of HBO’s “Girls” — need I say more? Her memoir has been the topic of much controversy in the media, but equally as much praise. Controversial or not, it’s a must-read for any woman in her 20s. Dunham puts into words the struggles and ideas that any girl can relate to but wouldn’t necessarily be able to pinpoint. Even with serious stories weaved throughout, Not That Kind of Girl will make you laugh out loud and maybe even forget that spring break won’t last forever.

3. Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

This book will pull at your heartstrings like your favorite rom-com and make you cry like the first time you saw “The Notebook.” Anthropology follows Evie Auerbach as she faces first love, first loss and all the other experiences that come with high school and young adulthood. It’s a longer read, so a break from school is a perfect time to pick it up — you won’t want to put it down!

4. The Summer of Naked Swim Parties by Jessica Anya Blau

Set in the ’70s, The Summer of Naked Swim Parties follows 14-year-old Jamie in a hilarious and heartwarming coming-of-age story. Jamie’s experiences are relatable and often cringe-worthy, just like many of our memories of being 14. This is a light and fun read, perfect for lying at the beach or by the pool.

5. Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Little Bee is a unique story about a young Nigerian girl who is released from a British immigration detention center and finds herself alone in a foreign country — until she reconnects with Sarah. Sarah is a young mother who has a dark history that involves Little Bee, and together the two unlikely pair grapple with the tragedy of their past. This is for those of you looking for a more serious read. It will be the most thought-provoking book you read all spring break.

6. Something Blue by Emily Griffin

Remember the movie “Something Borrowed” with Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin? This is the sequel to the book that inspired the movie. Recap: Kate Hudson plays Darcy, that girl that we all envy who gets everything her heart desires — including the guy. Ginnifer Goodwin plays Darcy’s underdog best friend, Rachel, who ends up getting the guy and leaving Darcy alone and out of her element. This is where Something Blue begins. The book is about Darcy’s realization that she must make a life change and her journey coming back down to earth from the charmed life she must leave behind. Watch “Something Borrowed” and then read Something Blue!

7. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Tip: Don’t read this in a dark place. Gillian Flynn’s second novel is the chilling story of Libby Day who returns to her small Missouri hometown where her entire family was murdered by her brother Ben — or so she testified. Libby searches for the truth about that fateful night and uncovers dark secrets and danger along the way. This book will keep you guessing until the last page, and it’s perfect for fans of Gone Girl. There’s also a movie in the works, so read it before it comes to theatres!

8. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

This is another memoir that cannot be skipped. The Glass Castle is Jeanette Walls’s shocking but true account of her childhood with eccentric-borderline abusive parents. Her retelling of the stories of her past will make you laugh, cry and appreciate the dysfunction in your own family.

9. The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

The Probability of Miracles is a young adult novel for fans of The Fault in Our Stars. Campbell is a teenager whose family moves her to a town where miracles are said to occur. Upon arrival, she receives a list of things she should do before she dies, which includes falling in love. Cue the tears, have the tissue box ready and get lost in this must-read.

10. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

This book follows the journey of Eddie who lived a quiet life until he died trying to save a little girl’s life. Upon arrival in heaven, Eddie is met by five individuals who were touched by his life at some point — whether he realized it or not. Eddie’s experience in heaven is heart-warming and thought-provoking.

Maya McDowell is a Chicago-based freelance writer and editor who covers lifestyle, beauty, and entertainment. She graduated from the University of Missouri in 2017, where she studied magazine journalism and psychology. When she’s not writing, you can find her reading memoirs, at improv class, or shamelessly DMing her fave celebs.
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.