10 Best Dressed at the 2014 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Sunday night’s 86th Academy Awards celebrated a groundbreaking year in film, from the out-worldly special effects in “Gravity” to the harrowing truths behind “12 Years a Slave.” But before that all began, many were eager to watch Hollywood’s best and brightest strut their stuff down the red carpet. Here are my picks for the top 10 best dressed at the Oscars.

10. Anne Hathaway

Okay, so the top half of her bejeweled Gucci ensemble may have partially blinded me when she stepped in front of the camera to present Jared Leto the Best Supporting Actor Award. But it was a beautifully bold, clean-cut gown that fit well with her similarly sharp hair style.

9. Jennifer Lawrence

Much like her first appearance at the Oscars, J-Law went for a striking red dress by her go-to designer, Dior. She even topped off her ensemble with a 2 million dollar backwards necklace, much like she did last year at the big event. She even tripped on her way down the red carpet! Looks like she’s creating more than one Oscar tradition.

8. Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington continues her streak of chic maternity fashion with this flowing lavender gown. The unique color matched with her burgundy lipstick made her a worthy best dressed contender. But would we expect any less from Olivia Pope? I mean, Kerry Washington.

7. Leonardo DiCaprio

He honestly hasn’t aged a bit. While I was more than bummed that he lost to Matthew McConaughey for Best Actor, he still made me swoon when he strutted down the red carpet in his suavely tailored suit. Much like his ensemble, he took another Oscar loss with class.

6. Lupita Nyong’o

The Best Supporting Actress winner’s majestic Grecian, pastel blue ensemble was a nice standout from the popular style of form-fitted gowns seen on the red carpet. The “12 Years a Slave” actress has had a head-turning collection of awards show gowns, and this one most definitely caps it off nicely.

5. Cate Blanchett

Not only did she win Best Actress, but Cate Blanchett’s Giorgia Armani gown was by far the most unique. The delicate details took center stage on this ensemble behind a neutral backdrop. She not only delivered a stellar performance in “Blue Jasmine” but an eye-catching frock as well.

4. Mr. and Mrs. McConaughey

The Best Actor winner and his wife were hands down the best dressed couple at the Oscars. Both went old-school Hollywood; he with a white-and-black ensemble and she with a draped, conservative, pale pink gown. Sorry, Brad and Angie, but you just didn’t stack up.

3. Amy Adams

I subtly held out hope that Amy Adams would take home the Best Actress award for her gut-wrenching performance in “American Hustle,” if only so she could show the entire Dolby Theater her near-perfect ensemble. Her navy blue, Gucci dress was the exemplary shade to match her strawberry blonde hair.

2. Emma Watson

While most starlets went with bright colors down the red carpet, Emma Watson and her continually unique style stuck with dark, neutral colors. From the shimmery gray, high neckline to the trumpet black bodice, Watson was definitely the best dressed non-nominated actress last night

1. Sandra Bullock

Who else? Sandra Bullock was aptly one of the last to arrive on the red carpet. She looked like sheer Hollywood glamour; her side swept hair, sweet-heart neckline and gathered dark blue gown were a perfect combination. She may have lost to Blanchett for Best Actress, but she won by a landslide for best dressed.

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
HC Contributer Mizzou