This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Some new. Some old. All amazing. This playlist is filled with songs to lift us up and empower us as women. One of the most effective ways for women to express their feelings and let out their inner badass has been, and continues to be, through music. So get your ladies together and have a jam session to these hits all about girl power.

1. Hard Out Here – Lily Allen

Best girl-power lyric: “Don’t need to shake my ass for you ’cause I’ve got a brain.”

2. Girl On Fire – Alicia Keys

Best girl-power lyric: “Everybody stares, as she goes by / ‘Cause they can see the flame that’s in her eyes.”

3. Cinderella – The Cheetah Girls (Originally by Play)

Best girl-power lyric: “I can slay my own dragons / I can dream my own dreams / My knight in shining armor is me.”

4. Born This Way – Lady Gaga

Best girl-power lyric: “Rejoice and love yourself today / ’cause baby you were born this way.”

5. Come First – Terror Jr

Best girl-power lyric: “I’m bossy, you can work for me / So sorry, yet I’m not sorry.”

6. Just A Girl – No Doubt

Best girl-power lyric: “Oh I’m just a girl, my apologies / What I’ve become is so burdensome / Oh I’m just a girl, lucky me / Twiddle-dum there’s no comparison.”

7. BO$$ – Fifth Harmony

Best girl-power lyric: “But that ain’t how I was brought up. Next. / Working for the money / ‘Cause that’s what my momma taught me / So yo ass better show me some re-spect.”

8. Diva – Beyoncé

Best girl-power lyric: “Na-na-na, diva is a female version of a hustla, of a hustla, of a, of a hustla…” and “Where my ladies up in here that like to talk back?”

9. Glass Ceiling – Metric

Best girl-power lyric: “Only know what I’m told, only know what I’m told / Fast asleep daydreaming / Start to push, break your own glass ceiling / Can’t count, can’t catch the pieces falling.”

10. America’s Sweetheart – Elle King

Best girl-power lyric: “You tryna change me, you can go to hell / Cause I don’t wanna be nobody else.”

11. Independent Women, Pt. I – Destiny’s Child

Best girl-power lyric: “I worked hard and sacrificed to get what I get / Ladies, it ain’t easy bein’ independent.”

12. Like a Boy – Ciara

Best girl-power lyric: “Wish we could switch up the roles and I could be that / Tell you I love you, but when you call, I never get back.”

13. Can’t Hold Us Down – Christina Aguilera and Lil’ Kim

Best girl-power lyric: “So what, am I not supposed to have an opinion / Should I be quiet just because I’m a woman / Call me a bitch cos I speak what’s on my mind / Guess it’s easier for you to swallow if I sat and smiled.”

14. Sit Still, Look Pretty – Daya

Best girl-power lyric: “You get off on your 9 to 5 / Dream of picket fences and trophy wives / But no, I’m never gonna be, ’cause I don’t wanna be / No, I don’t wanna sit still look pretty.”

15. And of course… Run the World (Girls) – Beyoncé

Best girl-power lyric: “Boy I know you love it / How we’re smart enough to make these millions / Strong enough to bear the children / Then get back to business.”

Check out my entire “Feel-Good Feminist” playlist on Spotify! 

Kaylee Shields

Minnesota '18

Kaylee is the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Minnesota. She's a junior studying journalism with a minor in leadership, and loves all things HC! Her favorite things to write about? Students who are making a difference in the UMN community, relationships and dating, and local news in the Twin Cities.