This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

During the eight months of Minnesota’s winter season, I find myself defaulting to the same outfit everyday: an oversized sweatshirt, leggings and a pair of Uggs. If you’re like me, these winter fashion must-haves will kick you out of that funk, but still balance comfort and style perfectly. Although these are just a few examples, it’s a great place to start!

An oversized scarf

A scarf is fine and dandy, but an oversized scarf, or even a shawl, can double as an undercover blanket…a fashionable blanket. You can either wrap it around your neck like a traditional scarf, or wear over your shoulders if you’re a freeze baby like me. Scarves are so multifunctional, that depending on your outfit, you can dress it up or dress it down!

Affordable option: BP Heritage Plaid Square Scarf

Pricey option: Lululemon Divinity Scarf

A Cowl Neck Sweater

Turtlenecks can seem a little formal, but this style of sweater is perfect for both lounging around and going out for dinner. A cowl neck sweater is flattering on anyone. For those that don’t know, a cowl neck is like a super loose turtle neck. Depending on where you buy it from, these sweaters can come loose or form fitting, either way, extra cute!

Affordable option: Nordstrom Brushed Cowl Neck Pullover

Pricey option: Madewell Funnelnuck Sweater

Fashionable, but warm boots

There’s no denying that boots are a must in a Minnesota winter, so why not make them extra cute? Uggs are cozy, but there’s no denying there are cuter options. If you know you’re going to be out playing in the snow these might not be the best option, but as far as remaining fashionable throughout the winter season, try some shin-high boots that are functional yet fashionable.

Affordable option: Lauren Winter Boots Merona 

Pricey option: Sorel Tivoli Suede Boots

Faux-fur Vest

We see the Kardashians decked out in their full-fur outfits, but a fur vest is the perfect key to staying warm and a good alternative to the fallback hoodie. I say faux fur mostly because it’s affordable, but also because you can look cute without harming any cuddly animals. You can get a faux fur vest for cheap or expensive, but let’s be honest, no one can tell how much you spend on it, so save your money!

Affordable option: Meroni Women’s Faux Fur Vest

Pricey option: Guess Gabby Faux Fur Vest

Fleece Lined Leggings

Because who actually likes wearing jeans? No one. Nothing says “cozy” more than fleece-lined leggings. Why would anyone object to leggings that look normal on the outside, but are fuzzy on the inside?! Most retailers have caught on to the trend, so you can find different styles, prices, prints, etc.

Affordable option: Fleece Lined Leggings

Pricey option: PINK Ultimate Fleece Lined Leggings

These cute and comfy examples are sure to keep your mind off of the dreary weather, and are sure to earn you lots of compliments!

A junior at the University of Minnesota, studying Professional Journalism and French. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I'm so excited to be here!