This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

At the University of Minnesota there are multiple colleges that are distinctive for their majors, their academic reputations and most importantly, their stereotypes. In particular, the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) is known as the “easy” college in comparison to other colleges like the College of Biological Science (CBS) and the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). CLA gets its poor rep from its large size and the perception that liberal arts aren’t as academically rigorous or important for the future as fields found in other colleges, such as engineering or neuroscience.

CLA is the largest and oldest college at the University of Minnesota. Established in 1868, the college currently offers 55 majors and 66 minors, the largest sum of majors and minors offered in any of the colleges at the U. There are a wide variety of subjects accessible that range from physics and economics to psychology and biblical studies. With such an extensive list of options for students to choose from, it’s no wonder that this college attracts the largest number of undergraduates in comparison to the others. However, the differences don’t end there, as CLA instills a unique requirement that the other colleges don’t adhere to – a second language.

Knowing a second language is beneficial to any college student, however, the second language requirement only exists in CLA. Not only will taking on the challenge of acquiring a second language aid in future career endeavors, it’ll also broaden your mind and introduce you to an additional culture and history that may have otherwise been unknown to you. Absorbing another language gives you the ability to connect and communicate with a world beyond your comfort zone.

Although there are many benefits that come from a liberal arts education, despite the stigma attached to it in our society. While mathematics and sciences are important to the development of our country, so are Liberal Arts. Studying all of the ideas and knowledge that humanity is comprised of – including information from all subjects– is what sets apart CLA from the other colleges. Where would we be without our educated journalists, who report on events that occur around the world and inform the public of the truth? Or without talented actors and actresses who display themes and stories that encompass the world and perform them to audiences everywhere? If we didn’t have any earth scientists, how would we understand the planet we live on and the actions we need to undertake to lead sustainable lives for future generations? Only economists can aid in our understanding of trends in the economy and predict the financial state of our country, among a wide variety of other issues.

All these things demonstrate that CLA shouldn’t be discounted, as the education and the experience it provides its students is undeniably irreplaceable and important. Therefore, no student in CLA should be ashamed – their education will aid in societal change for the better and is of equitable significance to the other colleges.

Second year student at the University of Minnesota, planning to major in Journalism and Political Science, as well as minor in Spanish.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.