Things You Know if You’re the Mom of the Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

If you’re the mom of the group, you definitely know it. Maybe it’s because your friends all call you “mom,” or maybe it’s because you’re the only one who ever knows what’s going on. It’s a tough, demanding job, but someone’s gotta do it.

You’re always prepared with tampons, Advil, cash, eight kinds of lipstick, a Tide-to-Go stick, hair ties, concealer and tissues.

You offer your friends snacks as soon as they walk in your house.

You keep everyone out of catty fights.

You are always supporting your friends to keep them positive.

You double-triple-quadruple check everything.

You have a lie-detector built into your brain.

Everyone comes to you for stain removal. Mom tip: If you think you can’t get a stain out, you’re wrong. Use Dawn dish soap and it’ll come out no problem.

You tell your friends you’re leaving fifteen minutes earlier than you actually need to because you know everyone else will be late.

The backseat of your car has everything you need for any kind of activity. A raincoat, a parka, three sweatshirts, four pairs of mittens, an extra pair of socks, an ice scraper, rain boots, winter boots, sneakers, flip flops, a swimsuit, a blanket…

You’re famous for these phrases: “Be safe!” “Don’t forget a hat!” “Did you eat today?” “Do you need a snack?” “Did you do your homework?” “Are you getting enough sleep?” “Don’t text and drive!”

You feel that showing a little cleavage is way too revealing.

You set a glass of water and two Advil on everyone’s nightstand before you go out for hangover prevention.

You realize about an hour into the pregame that it’s going to be a wild night, so you swap out your tequila shots for water.

You force everyone to permanently share their location with you so you can find them if they’re lost.

Your eyes are pretty much radars keeping tabs on your friends and making sure no harm comes their way.

In the morning, you wake up to texts praising you for your motherly care; your friends would probably have made horrible decisions, ended up in jail or they’d be dead without you.

You might get sick of being called “mom,” but secretly you love the title.

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.