books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Student Groups That Give Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

As busy college students, it’s impressive that there are several student groups on campus that serve our local community, the country and the globe. With motivated, smart and compassionate leaders, the University of Minnesota proves that students can change the world. Here are just a few of the student groups on campus that are acting as agents of change and giving back:

She’s the First

She’s the First is a national organization that fundraises and fights for the education of girls in underdeveloped countries. They aim to get first-generation girls to graduation and beyond by providing them with funds for scholarships, clothing, healthy food, medicine and boarding. “She’s the First is by far the most rewarding thing I’ve been involved with here at the U,” said Gabby Granada, who’s in charge of public relations for the Minnesota She’s the First chapter, “I’m continuously inspired by the compassion and determination these people have for the empowerment and education of girls across the globe.” Be on the lookout for ways to contribute to the mission of She’s the First, like their “Cheese the First” grilled cheese delivery service later this semester. All proceeds go directly to support girls education!

Big Brothers Big Sisters

Big Brothers Big Sisters is a national organization that matches a mentor (“Bigs”) with a child (“Littles”) to foster the Little’s success. The pair spends time together each week, growing and learning together; the goal of the organization is to enrich the life of a child facing adversity by providing a relationship with a positive adult role model. Each year, U of M students are carefully matched with a local child and the two bond. “I love being a Big. My Little always tells me she wishes I was her sister in real-life because she doesn’t have another role model my age in her life. We have a really good time and she’s so sweet,” said Big Sister and U of M student, Josie Jones. Each year, students fundraise to bring their Littles to campus for a day to take them around, participate in activities and show them the value of a college education.

Love Your Melon

You’ve probably seen the colorful Love Your Melon knit beanies adorning the heads of students on campus when the air turns chilly. They’re cute, they’re comfy and they help fight childhood cancer across the country. To the UMN Campus Crew, Love Your Melon is about way more than hats; they aim to spread the mission of the organization and put smiles on the faces of kids fighting cancer. They put on their superhero capes to promote the brand, visit local hospitals to donate hats and spend time with the kids by taking them on “Superhero Adventures.” With each apparel purchase, Love Your Melon donates 50 percent of the proceeds to their partners, CureSearch for Children’s Cancer and Pinky Swear Foundation.

Be the Match

The U of M Be the Match chapter is a branch of the national organization that matches bone marrow donors to patients who need transplants. Seventy percent of patients aren’t matches with members of their family, so hospitals need to look elsewhere for marrow transplants. Be the Match encourages people to become donors and facilitates transplants. It also conducts research and provides support for patients with blood cancer undergoing transplants. The student group spreads awareness and helps the organization grow the donor registry.

Camp Kesum at University of Minnesota

Camp Kesum is a free, week-long summer camp for kids who are affected by parents with cancer. The camp is run by college students, and there are 70 camps in 34 states each year. Students started a Camp Kesum chapter at the U of M in 2011; it hosts 120 campers ages 6-16 and provides them with a fun, supportive week. The group tackles huge fundraising numbers to be able to host a free camp; this year, its goal is to raise $125,000 and recruit 140 campers. “I Kesem because there are so many kids out there that deserve to take a break from reality for a week and it is such an honor to be involved with that! Camp Kesem is such an amazing experience for all those involved,” said Taylor Hilbrant, a co-director of the Minnesota chapter. 

Getting involved in a student group that gives back is rewarding, fun and teaches us things we can’t learn in the classroom. Visit the Student Union Association website to find a group that allows you to serve others and peaks your interest!

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.