This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Brittany Waters is a Junior studying Special Education from the small town of Freeborn, Minn. With hopes of becoming a Special Education teacher, Brittany’s passionate about working with children and making sure each child gets the best education possible. She didn’t always know that teaching was the route she wanted to take until she took some education classes out of curiosity. Now that she’s found her path, family, friends, and Vanilla White Mochas from Caribou are what help push Brittany to achieve her dreams and reach her full potential both in classes and her personal life.

Q: Who’s your role model and why?

A: My role model would definitely be my mom. She’s taught me how to overcome adversity and has always shown me what inner strength is. She’s my rock and I don’t know where I’d be without her and all the support that she’s always given me.

Q: What was it like transitioning from a small, rural town to the University of Minnesota?

A: I chose the U of M because as a little girl, I always wanted to be a Gopher. It was something that I’d always dreamed of so once I was accepted, it was a no-brainer for me. Not only was it a change of pace for me, but the opportunities on campus were too great to pass up. Growing up in a town that size, everyone knows everyone and it feels like one big family so coming to the U and meeting new people was scary for me right away. I was so comfortable where I was that I never really had to put myself out there so it was a great experience for me to come meet new people and see what else there is outside of my small town. With that said, I never appreciated where I come from more than I do now. Living in the Twin Cities has taught me to appreciate the quiet farm life back home. Coming to a school this size was intimidating at first, but I know that I made the right decision. There’s so much to offer in the cities and the U of M community is such a great one to be a part of.

Q: What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?

A: My favorite spot on campus would probably be the mall. It’s away from all the traffic so it kind of reminds me of home, but also like the heart of campus where everyone comes to express themselves. It’s really neat to see all the different things going on around campus.

Q: What’s your best memory at the University of Minnesota?

A: One of my favorite memories would probably be Spring Jam this past year. It’s my favorite time of year because the weather is beautiful, it seems like everyone is in a great mood and obviously the fun that comes with Spring Jam. Having a great group of friends really makes it all the more fun, as well.

Q: What advice do you have for incoming Freshmen?

A: It’s going to be okay! Everything may seem overwhelming and frustrating at first, but there are thousands of other students in the same position. Take different classes and get involved in different things to really find out what you’re passionate about. Everything will fall into place and you’ll be okay.

Having an optimistic outlook and the ability to turn a negative into a positive is one thing Brittany loves about herself, along with a deep-seated love for Disney movies, tacos and John Cena. Living life to the fullest is the best advice Brittany has ever been told and keeps that in mind every day throughout her time as a Golden Gopher.

Burritos. Puppies. Future teacher. That's basically it.