Pros and Cons of Going Out of State for College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

As someone who’s originally from a small town near Milwaukee, Wisconsin and now attends the University of Minnesota, I’m no stranger to going to college out of state. I know exactly how scary it can be to move hours away from your friends and family. However, in the month I’ve lived here, I’ve learned how fun and exciting it can be as well. There are downsides to moving away, but at the same time there are so many benefits.

Pros:

1. Independence

By going to school out of state, you don’t have anyone near you to take care of you. It sounds scary, and at first it can be, but it teaches you how to take care of yourself and not rely on anyone else. All students have to learn how to do laundry, how to budget time and money, and how to buy groceries. However, for out of state students, their step towards independence is much bigger. You have to find a new doctor if you can’t wait until you go home, you can’t go home when you’re sick or stressed, and if you forgot to pack something you can’t just have your mom quickly bring it to you or run home to get it. You’ll be able to experience what it’s like to live on your own and prepare yourself for the rest of your life.  

2. Diversity

There’s a ton of diversity within the student body at all colleges but especially at the U, where there are students from all 50 states and a wide variety of different countries. At an out of state college, you have the opportunity to meet people from places different from where you grew up, rather than just sticking to people you already know. It’s cool to get to know people different from you; you’ll be able to broaden your horizons and get new perspectives. Diversity is so important in college because it helps you gain a greater understanding for the world and its people.    

3. New friends

Usually when you go to college out of state you aren’t near most of your friends from high school, which forces you to make new friends. You’ll be able to virtually start over and branch out to meet people you normally wouldn’t be able to if you went to school in-state where a bunch of students from your graduating class went.

4. New area

Going to a new state you’re unfamiliar with gives you so many opportunities to explore. You’ll be able to see things you’ve never seen before and experience a whole new landscape; especially if you’re coming to the Twin Cities from a small town. You’ll be able to experience the new cultures and learn the ways of your new state, such as their traditions and their lingo. At Minnesota, you’ll learn that “Minnesota nice” is true and people really can be that nice, hockey isn’t just a sport, it’s a lifestyle, and you’ll have to make the transition from Starbucks to Caribou to get your daily coffee.

Cons:

1. Homesickness

Being away from your friends and family can be a good thing because you gain independence, but you’ll most likely get homesick and start to miss everyone from your hometown. Even worse, it’s usually harder to go home when you live in a different state. You’ll hear people around you talking about how they’re going home for the weekend and be jealous that you can’t. You’ll see pictures of your friends and families hanging out together and miss them even more. Even though you’ll miss them, it’ll make the time you spend with them and the times you see them even more meaningful.   

2. Higher cost

Fortunately, Minnesota has a reciprocity deal with Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota so the students from those states get in-state tuition. However, for the rest of the out of state students, they’re stuck paying a significantly higher tuition. Tuition isn’t the only cost that’s higher for out of state students. Going home costs more as well whether it be from plane tickets or gas prices. Thankfully scholarships and FAFSA exist to help lessen the financial burden.

3. New place

This doubles as a pro and con. It’s awesome to be able to explore a new place, but it can be scary to live somewhere unfamiliar. You’ll most likely get lost a ridiculous amount of times, and it’ll be hard to navigate your way around the new campus. Navigating around a new campus will be a challenge every freshman will have to face; however, it’s easier for students who live closer to campus to visit more before they attend, thus making it more familiar for them. You’ll soon learn that the GPS on your phone will become your best friend.

Everything will be different; the food, the people, the temperature. You’ll learn that soda is also called pop, if you’re from Wisconsin like I am you’ll soon figure out that no one knows what a bubbler is, and you’ll realize Minnesota winters are no joke. Whether it be getting lost on the buses and ending up in St. Paul, cringing when you hear cheers for the Vikings, or taking advantage of tax-free clothing way too often, you’ll soon grow accustomed to the things Minnesotans say and do and begin to consider your out of state college your home.

Emily Monday

Minnesota '20

Proud Wisconsinite and die hard Packer fan. Avid coffee drinker, dog lover, and Netflix binge watcher.