This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

It started with a question at the press conference after the Carolina Panthers beat the Patriots 33-30. Charlotte Observer reporter, Jourdan Rodrigue said to Cam Newton, “Devin Funchess (Carolina Panthers wide receiver) has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards.” She then followed this with the question “Does that give you a little bit of an enjoyment to see him kind of truck sticking people out there?”

Questions like these are asked all the time to athletes at press conference. To Newton, the question wasn’t odd, but the person asking it was. Laughing while answering the question Newton responds, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes. It’s funny.”

As a woman who can “talk sports” and is working in the sports industry, this response disgusts me.

In every industry, respect is demanded and expected out of everyone, regardless of their gender. Newton’s response was disrespectful and hurtful. His response shows that this very male industry is still in the past in regard to women in the workforce and how to treat them. If this happened at a desk job, this comment and reaction toward Rodrigue would be seen as unacceptable and you would see some sort of punishment. Just because Rodrigue is a reporter and Newton is a professional athlete, does not mean this should be pushed aside like it has been. They are still in a job environment, and professionalism and respect for one and another should be expected. Women have to push through a barrier in this profession, that shouldn’t be in existence, in this very male industry because of their gender.

Just because we look a little different, doesn’t mean we aren’t able to comprehend things about sports. Yes, I know what a route is. Yes, I know what an audible is. Yes, I know what a rally cap is. Yes, I know what a clapper is. Yes, I know what a double-double is. Stop questioning my knowledge on sports. I know sports. I watch and go to games in my free time. I love sports. It’s why me and many other women want to get in this industry.

Contrary to popular opinion, women in sports aren’t just there to stand in look pretty. We are there to get a job done. My interest in sports is not about you (@CamNewton), it’s about me and my passion.

So, it’s not funny that a woman might know something about a route. It’s not funny to question whether a woman know what an audible is or a RBI or whatever your next quiz question is. It’s not funny.

As a female who has been an avid sports fan since I was 12 and who has worked in the sports industry, that short comment Newton made had a huge impact on me and many other women. I know he’s not the first to make a comment like this and certainly won’t be the last, but that should not stop women from pursuing what they are passionate about. It should push us even more to go after our dreams.

I am a woman and I love sports. Don’t question it, don’t make fun of it, accept it because I am not going anywhere.