My Reaction to Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

After a few days of binge-watching, I finished the new Netflix show 13 Reasons Why, an adaptation from the book by Jay Asher. The show debuted on March 31, and I cannot stop thinking about it. I finished the last episode of the thirteen-part series and just sat on my couch, my heart and mind racing, overwhelmed with emotion. The show left me heartbroken and flooded with questions. I can say honestly that no fictional work has made me feel the way 13 Reasons Why has. It’s powerful, it’s hard-hitting and it’s important.

Like me, many of you may have read the book when you were in middle or high school. However, my recollection of the book is shaky, so this piece will mostly be referring to the series adaptation. As a note, the show definitely has its differences from the book, but it remains a complex, compelling story. The story is about sophomore Hannah Baker who endures multiple occurrences of trauma induced by her peers, causing her to commit suicide. Before she does, though, she leaves thirteen tapes explaining why she chose to end her life. The tapes are passed to the thirteen people Hannah blames, and viewers see immediate consequences, tension, fear and guilt as the tapes reach their subjects.

“There’s nothing about this story that’s polite,” said Brandon Flynn, who plays Justin in the show. He’s right; this show is graphic, disturbing and uncomfortable. It deals with the complicated experience of being a teenager, navigating high school, bullying, sexual assault, mental illness and suicide. None of those topics are polite. But they’re all topics that need to be talked about, and they shouldn’t  be glamorized and made unrealistic in television. 13 Reasons Why doesn’t gloss over details other shows do. In reference to the graphic scenes of rape and Hannah’s suicide, Executive Producer Brian Yorkey said, “We worked very hard not to be gratuitous, but we did want it to be very hard to watch.” Which it was. I found myself looking away, muting my computer and fast-forwarding through some of these parts. But the authentic truth is that these things aren’t pretty and they aren’t easy in real life, and television pretending that they are makes the problem worse. As a society, we tend to shy away from these topics, but it’s crucial that they are discussed.

13 Reasons Why addresses fundamental problems that are ingrained in our society. The show depicts the harms of rape culture, slut-shaming and shows examples of consensual and nonconsensual sexual interactions. The producers say they had counselors who advised them and the actors in the writing and shooting of these scenes in order to get a better understanding of what goes through the minds of sexual assault survivors, which I think is very commendable. Throughout the series, viewers see  Hannah struggle to escape the stigma that surrounds getting help for her rape and depression. Additionally, the show explores the issues of the perception of what it means to “be a man” and the “bro code.” The characters on the show go through alcoholism, peer pressure and intense bullying. These issues are prominent in high schools, colleges and our society as a whole, and it was imperative to the producers to depict these problems truthfully. 13 Reasons Why confronts everyone; peers, friends, partners, teachers, parents and legal figures are represented and can reflect on their roles in these issues.

It’s important for me to note that I’ve never undergone most of the atrocities that Hannah and other characters experience in 13 Reasons Why. If I had, I may feel differently about the series.  I feel that this show has benefitted me, but it may do the opposite to others; it may induce trauma from personal experiences that I’m not affected by. Select episodes that include instances of rape and violence have trigger warnings before the episodes begin, and it’s crucial to know that you may be affected alternatively than I was to these scenes. Please use your own discretion when deciding to watch this show in order to determine if it would be harmful to you. However, for me, this show has made me reflect on my own life. How have I perpetuated a rumor? When have I not stood up for someone when I should have? How have I bullied and caused harm to someone else? When did I not notice someone’s pain, and when did I not care enough? Further, how can I be better? The notion of “we have to be better” comes up constantly in the show, which is true; we can all be better at caring, listening and understanding more.

As in any work that concerns controversial topics, there’s criticism to both the book and the Netflix adaptation of 13 Reasons Why. That criticism is valid, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion about it. I commend 13 Reasons Why for forcing me to confront uncomfortable feelings and to reflect on my own life, actions and emotions, something that most entertainment can’t accomplish.

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.