timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Meaning of True Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

College has taught me a lot about life. I have learned how to survive on three hours of sleep, cereal is a great dinner when you’re low on cash, Thirsty Thursdays can be rough in all aspects and overcoming procrastination is near impossible. The most important thing I learned, in all seriousness, is who my true friends are, whether they’re new college friends or the high school besties. Finding these true friends can be some of the most valuable experiences of your life and sometimes searching for true friends can be some of the toughest times of your life. It’s all worth it in the end because you find friends of a lifetime.

To truly reveal what I mean, I went to one of the great academic sources of this age to help me better communicate what a true friend is. Urban Dictionary defines a true friend as one “who won’t turn around and stab you in the back.” It’s the example given that fully encapsulates the true meaning of a true friend; it states “a good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting next you saying that was fucking awesome.”

To top off those incredible statements, I thought of some other qualities of a true friend that come to mind through my experiences:

1. They don’t let you do anything stupid – at least not by yourself.

2. They are the person who will go out with you any night of the week, but also will always watch endless amounts of Netflix, no matter the day.

3. You bond together by stalking each other’s friends, crushes, significant others, and exes on social media.

4. They have the same humor as you and will probably be the cause when you cry of laughter.

5. A true friend will also be there at the lowest of lows, they stick with you even when you’ve given up on yourself.

6. This friend is someone you can call or text at any time of day and talk to for hours without even realizing it.

7. They are with you, as a friend, all the time, not when it’s just convenient.

8. They’re straightforward with you and tell you the truth whether it’s good or bad.

9. They are loyal and have your back – no matter what.

10. True friends make you a better person.

Life is always better when you have friends that are as devoted to you as you are to them. Don’t waste your time with the ones who aren’t fully there for you as a true friend. Make time for the ones who do care because they will stick with you till the end.

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.