Margot Thraen: DG Member, Army Medic, and Aspiring Surgeon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Margot Thraen is most definitely not your “average college student.” A junior at the U of M, Margot is majoring in Biology, Environment and Science and is an active member of Delta Gamma. In her free time, Margot can be found studying for the MCAT, as she hopes stay right here at Minnesota for medical school. It sounds like she’s got enough on her plate, right? Wrong. Margot has worked as an EMT, and is now working as a PCA in the Burn Unit at Regions Hospital, but she doesn’t stop there. Margot is also a member of the Minnesota National Guard where she serves as a medic. It’s safe to say that her official job title should be, “Total Badass.”

Here’s a little bit about Margot in her own words…

Just For Fun

Coffee Order: Depending on the season, a caramel macchiato, peppermint mocha or currently a PSL

Favorite Food: Chipotle (obviously) or any kind of seafood

Favorite Song Right Now: In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix

One thing you can’t live without: My Google calendar and/or planner!

One thing you love about yourself: I always see the good in people, which has its pros and cons, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

One thing you’re grateful for: It’s impossible to just pick one, but my family and friends are indispensable and I am so grateful for all the support and love I receive from them on a daily basis.

Celebrity Dream Date: John Krasinski, especially the 13 Hours version

Q & A With Margot

Q: What is your best memory at the University of Minnesota?

A: It’s impossible to pick just one! I’ve made so many amazing memories that I’ll never forget with my friends here.

Q: What is your favorite spot on campus and why?

A: The Biomedical Library is my sanctuary for being productive, but I love the Northrop Mall and watching football games at TCF! I also love jogging around the Stone Arch Bridge which isn’t on campus, but it’s close enough!

Q: What activities are you involved in on campus and how have they enhanced your experience at the U?

A:  I’m a member of Delta Gamma, which has given me a home away from home and an incredible community of women that inspire, support, and motivate me.

Q: How have you contributed to your community at home, on campus, or both while going to the U?

A: I have a lot of amazing opportunities to give back by volunteering for Delta Gamma’s philanthropy, Service for Sight, and I also contribute my time as a medic in the Minnesota Army National Guard and by working in the Burn Center at Regions Hospital.

Q: What is your dream job or future aspiration?

A: I hope to go to medical school (crossing my fingers to stay here at the U!) and someday be a burn surgeon, potentially in the Army.

Q: Who is your role model and why?

A: I have many, but my big, Lexi, is definitely one. She amazes me with her commitment to her dreams and relationships, and her ability to balance nursing school, multiple jobs, DG, and maintaining strong friendships while always having a positive attitude. Love you Lex!

Q: What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?

A: Always assume best intentions. Life is crazy and sometimes things get misunderstood, so it helps not only to maintain relationships but also to have a positive outlook on life when you try to give people the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions.

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!