Light It Up Blue: April is Autism Awareness Month!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Social interaction is a fundamental building block of society. Without social interaction, we couldn’t create sustainable relationships, friendships or love. As humans, we thrive on acceptance and crave approval from others. Imagine if you struggled every day with not being able to engage in or initiate social interaction. What if you couldn’t understand the feelings of others or even tell people your own? What if you struggled with the rules of a conversation, making it nearly impossible for you to maintain a friendship? Recently, the National Autistic Society released a video, that has since gone viral, capturing just one minute and thirty second of what its like to live with Autism. Take a look

Pretty crazy, right? For people with Autism Spectrum Disorders, the video above isn’t just a video. It’s not just a minute and a half, it’s their life. According to Autism Speaks, 1 in 68 children have an Autism Spectrum Disorder and its prevalence has been rising over the last 40 years. Autism Speaks attributes much of the growing rates of diagnosis to an increasing awareness surrounding Autism Spectrum Disorders, or ASD.

So where does that bring us? To April, which is Autism Awareness Month! This month, 60,593 people across the globe, who have signed the pledge to “Light It Up Blue,” will come together in celebrating and spreading awareness for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Even Goldy Gopher took the pledge to Light It Up Blue and served as an Autism Hero for the Autism Society of Minnesota’s, Steps of Hope For Autism Event. 

Light It Up Blue is a campaign by the organization, Autism Speaks, to promote awareness for and acceptance of ASD. The idea is to wear blue clothing throughout April to show your support for the campaign and its mission to promote acceptance and inclusion around the world. This is one of the easiest ways to get involved, so put on a blue shirt, hat, accessory or socks and help Light It Up Blue!

Another way you can participate in Autism Awareness Month is to take part in walks and runs in your community. In fact, the University of Minnesota’s U-Nited for Autism group just hosted the Spectrum Run 5K on April 2, World Autism Awareness Day. U-Nited for Autism reported that over 130 people participated to help raise awareness and donate proceeds to The Autism Society of Minnesota

Having a family member with Autism, I can testify that people with Autism are the sweetest, most generous and remarkable individuals. While it may take more time, patience and effort, building relationships with people on the Autism Spectrum is more than worth your while, I promise.  

Above all else, the best thing you can do is educate yourself. There are so many resources you can use to learn more about Autism. Keep an open mind, and remember: Sometimes those who are different teach us the most. To learn more about Autism Spectrum Disorders and how you can become an advocate, visit these sites:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/

http://autismnow.org/

http://www.autism-society.org/

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!