This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Halloween’s the one day of the year where you can really let your creative juices flow! Whether you’re going to a costume party or having a cozy night inside handing out candy, costumes are an important part of the Halloween experience. The hardest part is deciding what to dress up as! Sometimes this decision can haunt you until the night before Halloween, and you’ve no time to put a costume together. No need to be frightened, your last minute costume doesn’t need to look last minute.

Rosie the Riveter

This is a staple. You can never go wrong with a powerful woman costume. All you need is a pair of skinny or high waisted jeans, a blue or demi button down, a red bandana and a fierce attitude. Spice up the look with a fierce cat eye and sassy red lipstick.

Lady Lumberjack

This is another good option for your last minute costume crisis because most these pieces are easy to come by or you might already have them sitting in your closet (or on your floor). For this look, you’ll need a pair of jeans or denim shorts (any color and style), a plaid or flannel shirt (any color) and a pair of combat or snow boots (we probably all have a pair of those). You can add accessories like a fur hat, a simple beanie, a pair of suspenders or a fake ax.  

TWO FOR ONE ALERT!

Take your lumberjack outfit and transform it into a scarecrow. All you need to do is add a straw-like hat and scarecrow facepaint.

Bank Robber

You’ll need a black and white striped shirt. If you don’t have one, use a dark grey, black or white solid shirt. Add a pair of black pants which can be leggings, yoga pants, or jeans.The most important part of this ensemble is the mask. This you can buy from the Halloween store or you can DIY with facepaint or even eyeliner. Finish this look with a pair of tennis shoes and a black beanie. Other accessories you can include are money bags, a pair of handcuffs, black gloves or even some fake money. Be creative!

TWO FOR ONE ALERT!

The pieces used to be a bank robber, can also be worn to be a mime! Just take away the mask, the beanie and add some mime face paint! Additional accessories include white gloves, suspenders and maybe even a beret if you’re feeling like an extra classy mime.   

Kitty Cat

This costume is a classic. Besides being super cute and fun, this costume is pretty flexible when it comes to what to wear. Two must-haves for this costume to be successful are a pair of cat ears and a tail. Other than that, you can be as creative as you want. Wear a t-shirt and leggings, a dress or a skirt and top. Add a sassy cat eye or paint whiskers on your face. Your look will be purrfect!

Dalmatian

For this look you’ll need a white shirt. Make sure you don’t care about ruining it because the next step is to add black spots to it. Use a sharpie, spray paint, or even glue on pieces of black fabric. The only requirement for the bottoms is that they should be black. You can add puppy ears, a collar, puppy face paint or furry gloves if you want.

Mummy

Messy looking costumes are the best for last minute situations. Mummies are suppose to look messy anyway, right? The lack of time you put into it won’t matter. Grab some toilet paper or white paper party streamers, a white top and white bottoms so they blend in with the mummy wrapping of your choice. Then, wrap yourself up (you might need a friends help). Tie off sections and have some hanging off of you. Finish this look by teasing your hair into an absolute mess and wrapping a couple of pieces around your head. Add some ghoulish makeup or some dirty spots on your “bandages” for a more authentic look.

Zombie

The key components are teased hair, some type of zombie makeup (shadowed eyes or even more elaborate), some fake blood and ripped clothing. Done! Take it up a notch with spooky or gorey makeup. Make it your own!

Katniss

If you’re a Hunger Games fan, this may be the costume for you and there’s really nothing to it. Most of these items, you might already have in your closet, like a pair of combat boots, a dark colored v-neck shirt and a pair of khaki colored pants. Add a coat or the Mocking Jay pin. The most important aspects of the outfit, have to be the braid and the bow and arrow. Everyone will understand who you’re dressed up as.

Whatever you decide to dress up as for Halloween, make sure you aren’t being offensive. Halloween is fun but not when you’re dressing up as a stereotypical portrayal of a certain race, culture, identity or religion. Do you really want to ruin the night because you wore an offensive costume? I didn’t think so. Express yourself, be safe and have fun!

Robin is a junior at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities studying Professional Journalism, Studies of Cinema and Media Culture and Communications. She is a huge film, TV and musical theater buff (needless to say she spends too much time binge watching). She is an avid Couponer and money saver with hopes of becoming a Film Critic one day. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/robinrose44 or find her pieces on http://www.hercampus.com/school/minnesota