How to Stay Healthy on a Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

We’ve all heard about the dreaded Freshman 15. Finally, we’re free from our parents’ cooking, left to make our own decisions and finally eat S’mores Poptarts for breakfast in peace, but most of us get a little too carried away a little too quickly. The result? 15 extra pounds we didn’t have when we received our high school diploma.

College is full of a lot of exciting experiences, and your body (and mind) will grow and change no matter what–but make sure it’s growing in the right ways. Whether you live in 17th Ave. or Pioneer Hall, you can find healthy meals to satisfy your new cravings. Below are some tips on exactly how to do so.

Hit the Salad Bar

As tempting as it may be to run to the pizza line, the salad bar will be your best friend freshman year. Take advantage of it! You can pile endless toppings on your bed of iceberg, romaine, or spinach. Some of my favorites were black beans, cucumbers, and chickpeas. The dining halls always have a number of tasty dressings, too, like Caesar, Ranch, and vinaigrette. In other words, there are no excuses not to grab a salad at least once a day. Trust us when we say you’ll miss the salad bar after you move out of the residence halls.

Skip the Pop (Soda, for you out-of-staters)

Another tempting option in the dining halls: pop machines! And yes, I’m going to refer to it as pop, like a true Minnesotan. It’s hard to opt for water when you’ve got Coke and Mellow Yellow staring you straight in the face, but your body will thank you when you skip the sugar and choose to hydrate your body after a long day of studying. Plus, you’ll sleep better at night without the added caffeine–and if there’s one thing college students love, it’s sleep!

Fill your plate

Freshman year is likely the only year you’ll have a prepaid meal plan, so don’t let it go to waste. Fill up your plate when you’re in the dining hall, because you’re already paying for it. If you fill up at lunch and dinner, you’ll be less likely to munch on sugary snacks throughout the rest of the day, and less tempted to blow the little money you have on vending machine candy bars. Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full; it’s that simple!

College can be scary for a lot of reasons–don’t let the dining halls be one of them! Trust yourself to make healthy decisions and next year, your sophomore self will thank you.

Erika is a proud Golden Gopher, passionate about writing, designing, and working with others. She is graduating from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in December 2016 with double majors in Strategic Communication and German, Scandinavian, & Dutch. In her free time, Erika likes to read, practice yoga, and try her hand at cooking, in addition to binge-watching episodes of Friends.