Homecoming Intern: Brenna Loufek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

What’s your major and what do you want to do with it?

I am studying Spanish and Anthropology. I want to pursue a master’s in public health after I finish my undergraduate, and focus on working with the Latino community. I am especially interested in pediatric obesity and the barriers in our communities that prevent outdoor exercise/physical activity (i.e. questions of neighborhood security).

How did you get involved with Homecoming?

I transferred to the U in the middle of sophomore year, and Homecoming seemed like a great way to get involved and have tons of insta-friends! :) In high school, I was involved in a lot of event planning, so I was really interested in revisiting this passion in an environment that connected me with other students and introduced me to the different facets of the University.

What do you do with Homecoming?

As part of the Homecoming program, I served as the Public Engagement & Community Service intern. With the help of my AMAZING committee (Abdallah, Brittany J., Brittany L., Erich, & Jessa), we were able to plan six events this year. These activities included Thank U, the Golden 5k, two Red Cross blood drives, a food drive, and a community night with GAD.

What would you consider to be your biggest Homecoming success?

The positive and supportive dynamic was the biggest success I experienced this year! Our team was comprised of three advisors, five interns, seventeen committee members, and fifty ambassadors. During the week of Homecoming, I was so inspired to see the excitement and dedication to facilitating these events! We really came together and achieved our goal of getting more people involved in Homecoming. So many great memories with my fellow Gophers!!

What is one of your biggest pet peeves?

Socializing in restrooms. Seriously people. Let me pee in peace.

What else do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I love going on adventures around the Twin Cities! We live in an awesome city, and there is so much to explore. One of my favorite things to do is bike to a new coffee shop or have destination run. It’s the best way to find fun gems in Minneapolis and St. Paul while getting exercise!

Can you offer a piece of advice to U students?

1. Use a daily moisturizer that has an SPF 15. Think about how much time you spend going to & from classes — you have to make sure to protect your skin with all that walking outside!

2. If you’re having a bad or stressful day, change your outfit. Wear something semi-dressy. It’s an instant pick-me-up.

3. Eat Dove chocolate.

What is your Halloween costume this year?

My roommate and I dressed as Halloween night for the football game! But for actual Halloween night, we are going to dress up as a door and go reverse trick-o-treating to all of our neighbors. :)
Edwina is entering her senior year at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities where she is majoring in Public Relations. This past summer she worked as an orientation leader for Orientation & First Year Programs and was the marketing intern at Mill City Farmers Market. She loves chai tea, the Chicago Bears, country music, and exploring Minneapolis! For more info check out http://about.me/edwinareckel and you can follow her on twitter @ersreck!