Style

Here’s Why You Should Attend Fashion Week MN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

If you’re fashion lover like me, your Instagram must’ve been filled with runway looks and street fashion during New York Fashion Week this past month. You were probably hit with some serious FOMO, especially if the fashion industry is calling your name. The good news is you don’t have to wallow in the FOMO for long. You don’t have to be in the Big Apple to get a taste for all the trends that are going to hit this summer.  

Twice a year, Minneapolis and Saint Paul host Fashion Week Minnesota or, as trending on social media, #FWMN. Just like NYFW, it’s filled with runway shows exhibiting local talent. This spectacular week of fashion isn’t just limited to looks on the runway though. Creatives in the field will host events to discuss their journey into the fashion industry and offer any sound advice they might have.

#FWMN generally starts the week off with their official kickoff at the W Hotel in downtown Minneapolis. You’ll want to pull out your most impressive fashion-forward looks for this one since they have prizes for the best dressed. It’s also worth mentioning there’s a live DJ and pop-up shopping.

You can attend as many or as few events as you want during the week. If you’re worried about cost, take a breather. Some events offer a student discount with your UCard so you can sit front row to get your fashion fix.

If you’re looking to get involved many events, like the runway shows, are looking for volunteers. This will not only get you backstage to see what really goes on behind the scenes, but will look fantastic on your resume, especially if you’re ready to take on the fashion industry after graduation.

You’ve got plenty of time to get your runway looks ready since #FWMN Spring 2018 will be hosted April 23-29. Take a look at the lineup now to see the events you can’t wait to checkout.

Samanta is a junior majoring in journalism and minoring in fashion studies. Hitting Fashion Week around the world would be a dream come true for her. In her free time, she loves hitting hot new restaurants in Minneapolis to indulge her inner foodie. To keep sane during hectic school and work weeks, she's a part of DOOM Dance Crew at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus. It's a great way to relieve stress and the adrenaline rush of performing keeps things exciting.
Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.