Gopher Women’s Hockey: They Don’t Puck Around

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

The Gopher Women’s Hockey Team ended another fantastic season in March by claiming the 2016 NCAA championship title. However, this isn’t a surprise. The Gophers program and history has become what some call a “hockey dynasty.”

What exactly does it take to be the “winningest team in women’s college hockey history”? A quick look at a few of the team’s impressive stats can answer that:

• Seven national titles – the most in women’s college hockey history

• Five consecutive national championship appearances

• Four national titles in five years

• Only D1 women’s hockey team to finish with a perfect season of 41-0

• Fastest goal in a women’s NCAA championship game – 13 seconds

These records don’t even cover the amazing accomplishments of the individual players, themselves. After taking a look into the women and the team, I wanted to learn a little more about the two captains of the squad, Hannah Brandt and Lee Stecklein.

Getting to Know Hannah

Hannah Brandt is a senior at the University of Minnesota from Vadnais Heights. She’s studying Health and Wellness and aspires to be a Physician’s Assistant. Her favorite memory at the U has been being a part of the Gopher Women’s Hockey Team and winning three national titles. When she’s not playing hockey, Hannah can be found at Kafé 421, Tony’s Diner in Dinkytown or volunteering with Fairview Hospital, The Hope Kids and other organizations. Brandt says that her parents are her role models and have taught her everything she knows. Some of the best advice she’s ever gotten was to “enjoy the journey.”

Just for Fun

Coffee Order: Latte

Favorite Food: Tacos

Favorite Song Right Now: Anything by Carrie Underwood

One thing you can’t live without: My family

One thing you love about yourself: I like to have fun.

One thing you’re grateful for: family and friends

Celebrity Dream Date: Patrick Dempsey 

Getting to Know Lee

University of Minnesota Junior, Lee Stecklein, is studying Marketing and Entrepreneurial Management. Her goal is to be a member of the 2018 Olympic Women’s Ice Hockey

Team. No matter what happens, she wants to continue playing hockey and staying involved with the sport, either professionally or through youth programs. Stecklein volunteers through the student-athlete program MAGIC. She also enjoys giving back in her hometown of Roseville, where her role model, Winny Brodt, is also from. While at the University of Minnesota, Lee’s favorite memories have been in Ridder Arena: hanging out in the locker room and on the ice and winning two national championships.

Just for Fun

Coffee Order: Chai Latte

Favorite Food: Ahi Tuna Steak

Favorite Song Right Now: “Here” by Alessia Cara

One thing you can’t live without: My dog, Laana

One thing you love about yourself: My height

One thing you’re grateful for: My family

Celebrity Dream Date: Ryan Reynolds

Lee and Hannah led the Gophers in another incredible season, but every single player contributed to their success, and they all deserve recognition for their accomplishments. There is no doubt that the team will continue to build upon the legacy that is Gopher Women’s Hockey.

PHOTO CREDITS: Eric Miller/Gopher Athletics

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!